Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1970's

Poll: BEST BLIND DEAD?
Poll Options
BEST BLIND DEAD?

Like Tree214Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th December 2008, 12:07 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Default The BLIND DEAD series Amando de Ossorio 1972-1975

What,in your opinion is the best of De Ossorio's BLIND DEAD films?Why is it your favourite?
What memories do you have of first seeing it?

My favourite has to be RETURN OF THE BLIND DEAD,a (very slight) improvement (if that were possible) over the original.
Although the GHOST GALLEON oozes the most atmosphere in the series,the plotting runs at a snail's pace.
NIGHT OF THE SEAGULLS was a vast improvement and a fitting end to the series.
I first saw TOMBS and RETURN on the old cut Redemption videos.
I was well pleased when ABUS brought out that double bill DVD uncut.
The first time I saw Galleon was when I stupidly dived in head first and bought a German only audio/no English subs DVD.
I finally had the pleasure of viewing NIGHT when BU released their coffin boxset,surely the definitive versions of these classic movies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tombs_of_the_Blind_Dead.jpg (38.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Returnblinddead.jpg (37.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Ghostgalleonposter.jpg (39.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Nochegaviotas.jpg (33.4 KB, 3 views)

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 5th December 2008, 12:11 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Any of these ever play British cinemas?And was anyone lucky enough to catch them on the big screen?

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 5th December 2008, 12:12 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Blasphemy I know but I'm not too struck on the Blind Dead films. The Templar scenes are undeniably brilliant but there's just way too much padding in between. I would narrowly go for the sequel. Simply because there's less chat than in the original.

The original Tombs played on UK cinemas back in 1973 (I never saw it alas). The print was the shorter dubbed English version and amazingly it passed fully uncut with the BBFC. Something the later Channel 5 video (and all Spanish language prints) have yet to do.
Old 5th December 2008, 12:16 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The Templar scenes are what make them Vince.Do you not own any of them then?

Old 5th December 2008, 12:28 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

I've got the U.S AB box set. It makes strange noises in the night as though it can hear my heart beating......
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 5th December 2008, 12:30 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Anchor Bay boxset?Or is it the double bill?

Old 5th December 2008, 11:27 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Blue Underground box set rather (shows how long it's been since I last watched it).
Old 5th December 2008, 04:17 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The 1st film although the 2nd is also excellent.

Yes it's very surprising the BBFC passing it uncut in 1973, just assuming here that all the sex and violence was intact in the submitted version. It is extremely rare though for the BBFC to cut a scene today that was acceptable in the 70's, animal cruelty scenes apart.
Old 6th December 2008, 11:58 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

It was a close race between "Tombs" and "Seagulls" for me...but in the end, "Seagulls" won due to its particularly striking atmosphere.
The templars riding in slo-mo on the beach shot "day-for-nigt", the hateful village people and the titualr seagulls' screaming placed just at the right spots....Moody Euro horror from an era sadly long gone....
"Tombs" would have won if it was shorter and there are some additions to the plot- the rape and the somewhat unrelated subplot of the girl coming back from the dead- which compromise its impact slightly.
pixie06 likes this.
Old 6th December 2008, 12:10 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Neal View Post
the hateful village people
Yeah, the Village People have a lot to answer for.

Seriously though, Return of the Blind Dead for me too. I think it's more interesting than the first and moves at a better pace. And I still reckon the Blind Dead films provided some inspiration for Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires - the scene where the vampires rise from their graves in eerie slo-mo certainly made me think of the Blind Dead.

Like this? Share it using the links below!