Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1970's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: BEST BLIND DEAD?
Poll Options
BEST BLIND DEAD?

Like Tree214Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th December 2008, 11:18 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

It's a tough one but I think the sequel just edges it over the first for me. The ending is incredible, it oozes style and atmosphere and it's really creepy to boot.
Old 6th December 2008, 11:20 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Definitely agree - where the Blind Dead films win out is with their fabulously creepy armosphere. I must revisit the BU set soon, I think.
Old 6th December 2008, 01:20 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Tombs Of The Blind Dead is the best though the second is a worthy follow-up.Ghost Galleon which a good many people have said probably inspired The Fog (1979) has some effective moments.Night Of The Seagulls despite the grisly sacrifice sequence was tedious & a disappointing end to the series.I first bought the OOP ABUS Double,though Return Of The Evil Dead was the heavily cut version,despite restoring the few seconds of forcible breast exposure cut from the Redemption tape.I now have the Blind Dead boxset from ABUK & I've kept the double due to the BBFC cuts to the excellent original.
Old 6th December 2008, 01:33 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Well, I know for sure what the worst one is! The Ghost Galleon. That boat effect was hillariously bad. But still, it is a very good film! I luv the Blind Dead Series!
Old 6th December 2008, 05:36 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

The first film runs it close but Return of the Blind Dead for me for pure entertainment and better pacing. I like the 'village idiot' character in Return... as well.

I'm probably on my own here but I got a bit sick of those slow-motion shots of the Templars after the first few.
Old 10th December 2008, 05:47 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

RETURN OF THE EVIL DEAD for me. Out of all the series that is the only one that is consistently entertaining. The other 3 have a lot of padding out but with part 2 you're in the company of the templar knights for nearly all of its duration and the church setting was very apt.

TOMBS is good and features a stunning ending. THE GHOST GALLEON has the best ending of the lot and I'd even go as far as to call it on of the all time great endings. Unfortunately I had to sit through about 80 minutes of tedium to get to that point. It's not a complete train wreck but its plot is weak and underlines why they should have kept it more simple like the rest and the characters on show were lame. It's a shame because its boat setting could have elevated it above the rest. I view it a missed opportunity.

NIGHT OF THE SEAGULLS is one that I was after for ages prior to its eventual DVD release. The tape never used to show up on eBay though. I love the Pre-Cert artwork!
The film itself is stunningly atmospheric with great nighttime shots of the knights riding from their castle and across the beach. The seaside town helps conjure up a stunning feel but I think it suffered an almost Mardi Gras Massacre like repetition for its first 60 minutes and the tedium bogged it down a little bit too much. A decent(ish) finale though.

1) RETURN
2) TOMBS
3) NIGHT OF THE SEA GULLS
4) GHOST GALLEON
Old 14th December 2008, 05:46 PM
Cult Acolyte

I see where people are coming from regarding Return, but for me, Tombs is still the best. The initial resurrection of the Templars in this is stunning.

I couldn't believe it when Redemption released this on VHS all those years ago. Even more unbelievable was that some stupid twat at the BBFC cut 16 seconds out of this from ABUK's release a few years ago. Which is why I bought the US 'coffin' set. 'Buy British' my arse.

A great series of movies. Has anyone seen the undead Templars appearance in The Devil's Cross?
Old 15th December 2008, 08:40 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Even more unbelievable was that some stupid twat at the BBFC cut 16 seconds out of this from ABUK's release a few years ago. Which is why I bought the US 'coffin' set. 'Buy British' my arse.
Yeah, the cutting of this was a bad joke...BUT in all fairness, those 16 secs hardly compromise the film (in fact, the bit cut always looked a bit silly /70's sex comedy-like, it hardly makes me revisit my Laserdisc) and the ABUK set was far cheaper than the US coffin box. The only real reason I'd see to go for the BU coffin is the inclusion of the Spanish audio tracks for "Galleon" and "Seagulls"- if I cared about the language option....
Old 15th December 2008, 11:10 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

The old Redemption video of Tombs was even more heavily cut (just under 2 mins) and almost completely lost the breast slashing/blood drinking from the sacrifice scene.
Old 15th December 2008, 12:14 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
The old Redemption video of Tombs was even more heavily cut (just under 2 mins) and almost completely lost the breast slashing/blood drinking from the sacrifice scene.
Lousy effects work which is totally unconvincing.Looks like C-Us of a Barbie Dolls torso being slashed.

Like this? Share it using the links below!