Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1970's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=552)
-   -   The Legend of Hell House (1973) (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1970s/9309-legend-hell-house-1973-a.html)

Robert W 15th August 2012 10:27 PM

The Legend of Hell House (1973)

The Legend of Hell House is, in my humble opinion, the best haunted house flick ever made. Really, this film has more atmosphere per cinematic square inch than any other film in the genre before or since.

The film as sports one the single best ensemble casts outside of a Hammer film. Each actor is perfectly cast and each gives an impeccable performance.

Perhaps there are some admirers of this fine film here?

Daemonia 16th August 2012 01:35 AM

I'm definitely a fan and it features two of my favourite actors - Roddy McDowell and Michael Gough. It's an exploration of science vs metaphysics and is a real winner. Even though the unveiling shows malevolent supernatural forces, it's all done so well it seems perfectly plausible. Creepy and effective.

Just about the best example there is of a haunted house film, although I do rather like Tobe Hooper's Polteergeist - but for completely different reasons and there's no way to compare the two. The only real true comparison would be to Robert Wise's masterful The Haunting which is also a truly remarkable film that relies on chills and atmosphere rather than gore and grue.

But when all is said and done, The Legend of Hell House is probably my favourite haunted house movie with The Haunting and Poltergeist running close behind.

Jinx_Barkman 16th August 2012 02:45 AM

I am an admirer of this film and while I think it is brilliantly executed I have to admit, it isn't my favorite. That would have to be a toss up between The Changeling or Burnt Offerings.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ishot-1868.jpg

Robert W 16th August 2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 266297)
I'm definitely a fan and it features two of my favourite actors - Roddy McDowell and Michael Gough. It's an exploration of science vs metaphysics and is a real winner. Even though the unveiling shows malevolent supernatural forces, it's all done so well it seems perfectly plausible. Creepy and effective.

Just about the best example there is of a haunted house film, although I do rather like Tobe Hooper's Polteergeist - but for completely different reasons and there's no way to compare the two. The only real true comparison would be to Robert Wise's masterful The Haunting which is also a truly remarkable film that relies on chills and atmosphere rather than gore and grue.

But when all is said and done, The Legend of Hell House is probably my favourite haunted house movie with The Haunting and Poltergeist running close behind.

And then there's Pamela Franklin. Easily one of the prettiest faces ever to grace a genre flcik such as this.

Make Them Die Slowly 16th August 2012 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jinx_Barkman (Post 266306)
I am an admirer of this film and while I think it is brilliantly executed I have to admit, it isn't my favorite. That would have to be a toss up between The Changeling or Burnt Offerings.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ishot-1868.jpg

"Burnt Offerings" had me shitting myself when I saw it as a kid but on rewatching it a year or so again, I found it a painfully dull experience.

I do tend to avoid anything with ghosts or haunted houses as they scare the crap out of me for some reason.

Daemonia 17th August 2012 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 266531)
"Burnt Offerings" had me shitting myself when I saw it as a kid but on rewatching it a year or so again, I found it a painfully dull experience.

I do tend to avoid anything with ghosts or haunted houses as they scare the crap out of me for some reason.

Go sit in the corner, you pansy.

Make Them Die Slowly 17th August 2012 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 266543)
Go sit in the corner, you pansy.

:behindsofa::behindsofa::behindsofa:

Robert W 17th August 2012 12:12 PM

Another thing Hell House has in its favor is its script, which I feel is actually better than Matheson's original novel.

I've also read that the film, as seen today on all available dvds, is missing some scenes. These scenes, assuming they were actually shot, were trimmed in order to secure a PG rating.

Slippery Jack 17th August 2012 12:56 PM

I thought apart from Roddy McDowall it was a bit dull. Think The Changeling is pretty overrated too. Can't beat The Innocents imo . . .

Robert W 17th August 2012 03:53 PM

I think what I like most about Hell House is its matter of fact approach to the subject matter. The house is haunted. There are ghosts. That sort of thing.