View Single Post
Old 15th November 2011, 06:25 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Default Official Electro-Industrial/EBM/Synthpop/Darkwave Thread!

What will (most probably) inevitably be a fruitless exercise, I thought I'd create a thread for the rivetheads among us (i.e. Me).

For anyone who is not familiar with this excellent and varied niche of the musical spectrum, here is some cobbled together definitions from our good friend Wiki:

"Electronic body music (mainly known by its acronym EBM) is a music genre that combines elements of industrial music and electronic punk music. The modern usage of the term was originally coined by the Belgian group, Front 242.

Emerging in the early-to-mid 1980s, the genre’s early influences range from the industrial music of the time (Throbbing Gristle, Cabaret Voltaire), European electropunk (DAF, Liaisons Dangereuses, Portion Control) and straight-ahead pop-oriented electronic music (Kraftwerk).

Synthpop is a subgenre of new wave in which the synthesizer is the dominant musical instrument. It is most closely associated with the era between the late 1970s and early to middle 1980s, although it has continued to exist and develop ever since. Kraftwerk (from Germany) and Yellow Magic Orchestra (from Japan) are often hailed as the pioneers of the style.

Dark wave, also written as darkwave, is an umbrella term which refers to a movement that began in the late 1970s, coinciding with the popularity of new wave and post-punk music. Building upon the basic principles of those musical movements, dark wave evolved through the addition of dark, thoughtful lyrics and an undertone of sorrow. Dark wave is inseparably connected with the stylistic developments of the late 1970s and the 1980s. In the 1980s a versatile subculture developed within the dark wave movement, whose members were called “wavers” or “dark wavers”.
"

So, am I completely alone at the moment, or do we have any more folks with great musical taste among us?