Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television > The Twilight Zone: Official UK Forum > The 1980s Show

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st July 2011, 10:09 AM
Twilight Zone Co-ordinator

Default Twilight Zone: The Movie

As our good friend Trouserpress said, we've never really talked about Twilight Zone:The Movie before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouserpress View Post
So does this thread include The Twilight Zone movie? I've never seen that, but am well aware of it due to the tragic accident on set in the Philippines. It would be great to see that get a decent release one day, with extras reflecting on what happened!
Strange as it may seem, I've never seen it in it's entirety. I've seen the beginning and the end, I've seen Nightmare at 50,000 Feet and It's a Good Life, but not Kick the Can or the controversial segment starring Vic Morrow.

I've always distanced myself from post Serling Zone a bit, but I'm gradually coming round to the idea seeing as I've enjoyed several episodes of the 80's show, so I will get to the movie soon.

Sadly I don't think we'll ever see a release like Trouserpress mentions above. I don't think anyone involved wants to re-open those old wounds. I have two books about the accident and the court case that followed. Here's a link to one of them. I'll be adding the other to the site in due course.

I haven't read these yet, but I have skimmed them. I'm certainly no expert on the case, but it if the book's sleeve notes are to be believed, then it's easy to see why nobody involved will want to go near this again.

"How could this tragedy occur? Was anyone to blame? Outrageous Conduct reveals the facts behind the accident, when skilled movie makers exceeded the bounds of safety; the anxiety when Hollywood closed ranks to protect its own; and the raucous and very public trial, when counter charges of “outrageous conduct” flew between the publicity-conscious district attorney and the furious film director John Landis."

Like you Trouserpress I would like to see an independent documentary about it. In my younger days I did watch the tragic footage. I have no taste for watching such things now, but those images still stick with me. It's horrifying watching Vic Morrow genuinley struggling with the scene, carrying those two kids - and then their lives are just snuffed out in an instant.

Sombre stuff, but I know a lot of people genuinley enjoy the movie. So if I haven't already soured the mood! Post your thoughts on Twilight Zone: The Movie here!
Old 31st July 2011, 10:29 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Wow! glad to have prompted a new thread on here. I've never seen this film at all, which is odd given my love for TZ and my voracious appetite for old movies in general. I'm looking at ordering that book now, as it sounds fascinating. Is the other book, Special Effects: Disaster at Twilight Zone any good? It's pretty cheap on Amazon marketplace, so I'll probably end up ordering both: Special Effects: Disaster at Twilight Zone : The Tragedy and the Trial: Amazon.co.uk: Ron Labrecque: Books

When I watched The Bronx Warriors, in the excellent Shameless box set, it was both saddening and a bit weird to see Vic Morrow running around and hamming it up, knowing that it would be his last completed movie. Especially given his rather unpleasant end in that film!

I think TZ: The movie is available on DVD for pretty cheap. It's a shame that more isn't made of it given Spielberg and Landis' involvement, but like you said, I doubt either of them want to talk about it. I've met Landis a couple of times. I wonder what would have happened had I brought it up!
Old 31st July 2011, 03:53 PM
Cultist

It's usually in HMV's 2 for £10 section if you have a look for it.

I've got mixed feelings about the film as Tom and I have discussed before, some aspects of it are great (Nightmare at 50,000 Feet & the majority of It's a Good Life), but a lot of the film feels like it's missing a spark. Maybe it was the accident or maybe it was a lack of faith in the project, but the film doesn't feel complete.

As also discussed in other threads, I feel the lack of a "Serling type presense" was also missing from the film.

EDIT: I'd also love to take a read of that. If you want Tom I could write up a review for it?

Fan of The Twilight Zone? Then check out The Collector's Room - a sci-fi series in true Twilight Zone fashion.
Old 1st August 2011, 07:18 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs View Post

In my younger days I did watch the tragic footage. I have no taste for watching such things now, but those images still stick with me. It's horrifying watching Vic Morrow genuinley struggling with the scene, carrying those two kids - and then their lives are just snuffed out in an instant.
Where did you see this? I didn't think it had ever got out into the public domain. I am pretty curious to see it for myself too!

EDIT: Never mind. Just found it on youtube. That's pretty awful. It must have just been unbelievable for everyone there. It's almost mind-blowing that John Landis just didn't give up filmmaking there and then.

Last edited by trouserpress; 1st August 2011 at 07:28 AM.
Old 1st August 2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Is the other book, Special Effects: Disaster at Twilight Zone any good? It's pretty cheap on Amazon marketplace, so I'll probably end up ordering both: Special Effects: Disaster at Twilight Zone : The Tragedy and the Trial: Amazon.co.uk: Ron Labrecque: Books
Yes, that's the fella. I haven't read either yet. Really must get around to it.
Old 1st August 2011, 09:01 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs View Post
Yes, that's the fella. I haven't read either yet. Really must get around to it.
Just ordered it!
Old 1st August 2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Collector's Room View Post

EDIT: I'd also love to take a read of that. If you want Tom I could write up a review for it?
Absolutely mate. It would take forever for me to get round to it. Nice one.
Old 1st August 2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Just ordered it!
Look forward to hearing what you think!
Old 2nd August 2011, 09:23 PM
Cultist

Christ, I've just watched that footage of the accident. That was really terrible. At least they wouldn't have suffered. The movie has always been a favourite of mine apart from the Spielberg 'Kick The Can' segment. Seeing that accident makes me think maybe it should never have been released.
Old 3rd August 2011, 08:42 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by the human man View Post
Christ, I've just watched that footage of the accident. That was really terrible. At least they wouldn't have suffered. The movie has always been a favourite of mine apart from the Spielberg 'Kick The Can' segment. Seeing that accident makes me think maybe it should never have been released.
I know, right? I can't get that out of my head now. On reflection, I'm sure everyone involved thought "What the hell were we thinking?" I always thought the helicopter was supposed to be shooting at them, I didn't realise that it was the camera copter. Landis wanted it as close as possible to get a good shot. Hadn't he heard of a zoom lens?

Like this? Share it using the links below!