Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1980's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th January 2013, 05:40 PM
Active Cultist

This list will really interesting. I think if you don't know whether or not to put a movie on your list because you don't know how others will react to it being horror or not, just use your best judgment. If YOU think it's horror and you like it enough to say it's one of the best of the 80s, put it on your list. If enough people think the same way, it will probably appear highly on the list.

I'm going to include those movies I mentioned earlier that I was on the fence about.
Old 16th January 2013, 12:15 AM
Active Cultist

I saw Videodrome for the first time. I don't know why it took me so long to see it. Cronenberg and body horror are the perfect marriage. Cronenberg will probably be well represented in this list, at least I hope he is.
Old 16th January 2013, 07:12 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiraffejustin View Post
I saw Videodrome for the first time. I don't know why it took me so long to see it. Cronenberg and body horror are the perfect marriage. Cronenberg will probably be well represented in this list, at least I hope he is.
I'm glad you enjoyed it. Especially as it's the number one film on my list!

It will be interesting to see how Cronenberg fares once all the lists have been posted. Whilst you have gems like Dead Ringers, The Fly, Scanners and Videodrome in the '80s, a proportion of his classic 'body horror' films also fall within the '70s (The Brood, Rabid, Shivers).
Old 16th January 2013, 12:14 PM
Cult Addict

Cronenburg is nothing short of a cinematic legend. Videodrome, The Brood, Scanners, The Fly, Rabid, Shivers, The Dead Zone. Even mediocre DC is good, Fast Company, Crash and Cosmopolis come to mind.
Old 16th January 2013, 12:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Bit late (as always) but I'm up for this. 25 should be easy enough....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 16th January 2013, 05:31 PM
Active Cultist

I watched House on the Edge of the Park last night. David Hess is such a sleazeball, he really ruled. The twist ending did a good job of explaining certain questions I was having during the first two acts, but it still seemed kind of ridiculous. That doesn't kill the movie or anything though. It's just a slight knock that kept it from being a sleazy masterpiece. It will probably still do alright on my ballot. Will anybody else be voting for it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Bit late (as always) but I'm up for this. 25 should be easy enough....
Cheers!
Old 16th January 2013, 05:36 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiraffejustin View Post
I watched House on the Edge of the Park last night. David Hess is such a sleazeball, he really ruled. The twist ending did a good job of explaining certain questions I was having during the first two acts, but it still seemed kind of ridiculous. That doesn't kill the movie or anything though. It's just a slight knock that kept it from being a sleazy masterpiece
Sod the plot-holes - just watch the violence!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 16th January 2013, 06:06 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Just to clarify, films released 1980-1989, other than that anything goes, i.e. what you personally deem to be horror, remakes, sequels?
Old 16th January 2013, 06:33 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
Even mediocre DC is good, Fast Company, Crash and Cosmopolis come to mind.
Good Lord!

OK, so Cosmopolis is tough for some people, but...Crash? Mediocre?

Old 16th January 2013, 07:09 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I don't like Videodrome that much. Like Cronenberg's early films from the 70's much better. In fact id say Shiver's is my fav by Cronenberg

Like this? Share it using the links below!