Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1980's

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By mad mac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd May 2013, 03:43 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default The Fog (1980)

Easily one of my favourites. Actually, I like it just as much as Halloween and The Thing (if not more).

It has many of what I like to call the "John Carpenter Family" in it- Adrienne Barbeau, Tom Atkins, Jamie Lee Curtis, Charles Cyphers, Nancy Keyes and Hal Holbrook... As well as JANET LEIGH! Its also genuinely creepy and beautifully directed.

Any other fans out there?
Old 23rd May 2013, 03:50 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Have you had a look at the John Carpenter Thread Gothmogxx.

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/horr...er-thread.html

You should enjoy it.
Old 23rd May 2013, 03:56 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Have you had a look at the John Carpenter Thread Gothmogxx.

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/horr...er-thread.html

You should enjoy it.
Yeah I saw it but thought this deserved a thread of it's own.
Old 23rd May 2013, 03:57 PM
Cult Acolyte

Yep, I'm a big fan.I currently only have the 2-DVD special edition of The Fog put out by Momentum a few years ago.I would like to get it on Blu-ray at some point.What's the UK BD like, anyone own it and care to share their opinion on it?
Old 23rd May 2013, 04:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampix View Post
Yep, I'm a big fan.I currently only have the 2-DVD special edition of The Fog put out by Momentum a few years ago.I would like to get it on Blu-ray at some point.What's the UK BD like, anyone own it and care to share their opinion on it?
I presume you can't play region A then? Because the upcoming Scream Factory will be MUCH better than the UK one.
Old 25th May 2013, 07:15 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampix View Post
I have that one as well, the one with the green packaging and the booklet right? Brilliant film!
Old 14th July 2013, 10:19 PM
Cult Rookie

I've just reviewed Scream Factory's US release over on Av forums.

Under supervision from Dean Cundey, this new transfer has been restored by Scream themselves ... and I can confirm that it looks terrific.

It is certainly darker, but the clarity and the detail are tremendous. The colour-timing is correct - well, we can't argue with Cundey, can we? - and those incredible compositions look immaculate, with stunning depth afforded those majestic landscapes. Which reminds me ... Adrienne Barbeau looks simply gorgeous as well.

If you can play Region A, it is definitely time to ditch the DVD and THAT travesty put out by Optimum.

You know, despite all the horror that neck of the woods has received in this, Halloween III, The Howling, Dead & Buried, The Birds and, um, Murder She Wrote ... I'd love to go there to the coastal hamlets of Northern California. The Fog is one of the most entrancing American horror films.

There was a time when John Carpenter ruled the genre.

Cheers guys,

Chris McEneany
trebor8273, Gothmogxx and Zann like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!