Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1980's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=553)
-   -   The Burning: Friday the 13th Ripoff or 80’s Slasher Classic? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1980s/12582-burning-friday-13th-ripoff-80%E2%80%99s-slasher-classic.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th September 2014 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 416952)
Sleepaway Camp better than both anyhow...

:loco: :nurse: :D

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 10th September 2014 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 416957)
:loco: :nurse: :D

You may as well call the men in white coats for me too, as I agree with him. :D

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th September 2014 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 416959)
You may as well call the men in white coats for me too, as I agree with him. :D

Go on, why?

It always seems less bloody than other slashers, less exploitative all round, poorer acting too. and the big reveal is hardly mind altering. In fact it almost seems cliched.

I actually prefer the two sequels to the original.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 10th September 2014 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 416960)
Go on, why?

It always seems less bloody than other slashers, less exploitative all round, poorer acting too. and the big reveal is hardly mind altering. In fact it almost seems cliched.

I actually prefer the two sequels to the original.

Simply put: It's more unusual and interesting to me, really. This in turn makes it more enjoyable and rewatchable. For me, slashers don't necessarily have to be bloody or exploitative (although this does often help), they just have to break the mold a little, be a bit unique/unconventional to prick my interest more.

I also really like the first two SC sequels (again more so than The Burning or F13th).

As hinted at above, my favourite slasher films tend to be the more 'off-the-wall' kind, and this is probably the reason I don't really like many of the franchise slasher films too much (F13th, Elm Street, Child's Play). Maybe if I grew up with them and watched them as and when they were released it may have been a different story, but give me stuff like Stagefright, Pieces and Maniac over any of the heralded slasher franchises any day. :)

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th September 2014 12:56 PM

We both agree on Elm St, it's one of the few things we've sided on in the past. :nod:

I still haven't seen any of the original Childs Play films. The first one i saw was the excellent Bride of Chucky then the fairly abysmal Seed of Chucky. I adored the recent Curse of Chucky though. A brilliant modern Gothic slasher.

Vampix 10th September 2014 03:11 PM

I like both F13 and The Burning -- mainly because of the FX work of Tom Savini. Cropsey is the better slasher villain of the two movies IMO. I do remember the ending of F13 gave me quite a jolt on my first viewing of it on video, years ago. :)

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th September 2014 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 416968)
I do remember the ending of F13 gave me quite a jolt on my first viewing of it on video, years ago. :)

It probably woke you up. ;) :tongue1:

Susan Foreman 10th September 2014 04:07 PM

Would 'The Burning' have existed if 'Friday 13th' hadn't been made?

Vampix 10th September 2014 06:42 PM

I do recall finding the old "You're all doomed" bloke on the bicycle quite comical back when I first watched F13. :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th September 2014 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 416998)
I do recall finding the old "You're all doomed" bloke on the bicycle quite comical back when I first watched F13. :lol:

He was right though. :lol: