Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1980's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th March 2018, 11:03 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Was just about to create a new thread about this when gut feeling suggested I already may have done some years ago. Clearly I was right, although I didn't have a lot to say back then.

Basically, this is yet another Slasher classic I adore.

It wouldn't be easy for any Slasher film in 1981 to top the list as the best of the bunch: this year after all was the genres peak year, the competition would be hard. Indeed with Friday the 13th Part II, The Prowler, The Burning, Halloween II, Eyes of a Stranger among many others out it was intense. But MBV not only manages to hold its own but I think it may be my favourite from that year.

MBV starts off with the typical murder at the very start of almost any Slasher film but from there it gets a bit different. In particular the characters. They aren't teenagers, here we have a bunch of young adults, who are quite interesting. The mine setting, meanwhile, is a good decision. Filmed in an actual mine in Nova Scotia, its claustrophobic tunnels and halls are perfect for building lots of tension. Its also original and makes a change from the woods or a college campus.

It also has a very notorious history with the MPAA, who censored it dramatically. I believe it was over 3 minutes of footage: not just little snippets of gore. The uncut version is spectacular with some fantastic deaths.
SPOILER:
We see a female impaled on a spike, two miners pickaxed to death with their hearts removed, Mabel pickaxed and then tumble dried to death (which looks outstanding), the local "doom and gloom" guy pickaxed through the eye, a guy has his face pushed in pot of boiling water, Hollis nailgunned in the head, Howard hung (his head detaches from the body) and Patty pickaxed in the stomach (not gory but her acting is good, she looks in genuine pain). There are also two (technically three) more deaths. The first one is because its probably the best and a truly original kill. The scene in the showers is famous for its pay-off, but I found the build-up particularly nasty. We hear the killer moving around and then he grabs her and we see prolonged takes of the victim being carried along, held by her head, shown from the point-of-view of the murderer, shining his helmet-lamp into her terrified face. Its very well done and the payoff: He steers Sylvia towards the showers and sticks her on the nozzle killing her. Good stuff. The second one is two lovers getting impaled by a drill, but sadly we can't see it due to it being the only bit of the censored footage that was unworkable. Its a shame. The MPAA seem to have a thing against double impalements: its due to them that we can't see the double spear kill in Friday the 13th Part II

It a murder/mystery kind of film and the ending works well when combined with the other strengths. Turns out that the killer is
SPOILER:
Axel. His dad was one of the miners killed by the original Harry Warden and he later goes on a killing spree because he went mad. It is funny when he loses one of his arms during the cave-in though, because you can see the crew member that was holding the severed arm just behind the rocks. But besides that its a good ending. We sadly never got a sequel, which was planned, but the film wasn't financially successful enough.

10 out of 10. 1981 really was the golden year for Slashers.
Old 13th March 2018, 11:22 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

It is a great film. I'm glad that I picked up the American region friendly blu-ray when it was still available. It's out of print now. And I love seeing the film with the available gore footage included.
Old 14th March 2018, 12:00 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

This is a proper slasher film. You know with actual slashings and stuff. Not like Terror Train.

I also like the super slick and gory remake very much too.
Gothmogxx likes this.
Old 14th March 2018, 12:02 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Which american blu was region free?

Should have picked it up!
Old 14th March 2018, 12:10 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
Which american blu was region free?

Should have picked it up!
It was a Lionsgate release.
Old 14th March 2018, 12:13 PM
Cult Acolyte

Yep. Look for this one. Awesome!

1492802h.jpg 1492802bh.jpg
SymbioticFunction and dis like this.
Old 14th March 2018, 12:15 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
Yep. Look for this one. Awesome!

Attachment 202303 Attachment 202304
£130!

I'll have two.

Even the uncut US dvd is now out of print.

Seems there's a Dutch one though you can get for a tenner delivered.
Old 14th March 2018, 12:37 PM
Cult Acolyte

Remember when it had a double bill release?
My brother went to see it.
I still have the cutting of the advertising poster from the newspapers.

Great quad poster.

THE FUNHOUSE - UK Poster.jpg IMG_8903.jpg
Old 14th March 2018, 04:54 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I bought one of those blu's from a FB group about two months ago for £30.00 delivered and I thought that was pushing the price! It is lovely though. I cannot understand why Arrow or 88 have not got hold of this, I'm sure it would sell well.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 14th March 2018, 05:02 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

It's one title I wish 88 Films or Arrow would pick up for a UK release, I'd love to rewatch it again in HD.

Like this? Share it using the links below!