Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1980's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree95Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th July 2012, 10:02 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Deffo!
Tangerine Dream are a class outfit!

Memorable scores include;
FIRESTARTER
RISKY BUSINESS
NEAR DARK
and
LEGEND
No love for Dead kids (strange behaviour)?
Old 18th October 2012, 10:48 PM
Cultist in Training

I finally saw the film for the first time a couple of nights ago. I didn't think it was great, but I did like it (great visuals and music!) and I think there's definitely potential for it to be a masterpiece. I also reckon seeing it in high definition would help, as the quality of the download was horrible and hampered my enjoyment of the film. Here's hoping for a 30th Anniversary Blu-ray release next year!
Old 30th November 2012, 10:10 PM
Active Cultist

I realise this is short notice (just found out myself), but The Keep is showing tonight on Film4 at 00:15.

Got my early morning viewing sorted.
Old 1st December 2012, 10:35 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I ended up watching it, even though I had watched it recently. (a horrid download tbf.)

I don't know why I like it, there's some nice ideas, but it's a film I'd have a hard time defending.

Don't get me wrong I like the Tangerine Dream score, but the film started to make more sense last night when I remembered how popular Jean Michel Jarre shows were at the time with their laser displays and fireworks.
Old 1st December 2012, 01:52 PM
Active Cultist

I really enjoyed it. Definitely a classic case of style over substance, but as usual, Mann does it better than most.

Truly atmospheric.
Old 1st December 2012, 03:38 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I have the pre-cert of this that's on its last legs, but when I watched it a few years ago I was very underwhelmed by it. I did record it last night though and have watched a bit today but tbh I was still really bored by it. Yes it has a decent score and visuals, but it takes more than that to make a good movie and if it's a mess and worst of all is downright boring then those visuals and the sound are pretty much wasted imo. I'll watch more later though to see if it picks up.

I really don't know why this and The Devils have such a cult following... both bored me to tears! Sorry Reaper!
Old 1st December 2012, 05:16 PM
Cult Acolyte

It was nice to see it again, it seemed more gruesome than I remember and those weird contacts in Glenn's eyes.
I did notice McKellen check the neck of Watson, so maybe the script got chopped and may have had the vampire element when they started filming, it has an 80s feel so it's aged a bit, but I still love that soundtrack.
Old 1st December 2012, 08:04 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Just watched 'The Keep' and I have to say Wasn't that impressed! I remember seeing it back in the 80's and thought the idea a good one. I still like the idea, the effects and the creature but am really not a fan of Tangerine Dream and it kind of ruined the movie as a whole for me!
Old 2nd December 2012, 08:40 AM
Seasoned Cultist

I think it is very difficult to describe The Keep as a bad film because the official release of 93 mins was the studio cut which removed material which apparently ran for over an hour. The death of SFX maestro Wally Veevers also complicated this situation (some SFX were left unfinished). Therefore, criticism for the film in its current form should in fairness largely be leveled at Paramount themselves.

Sadly, to date no one has ever seen Michael Mann's original cut of The Keep but instead have had to made do with the cut that Paramount issued after they fired Mann. It remains the Holy Grail for many fans for this film to be able to see the original vision (or as close as possible depending on what material still remains).
Old 4th December 2012, 10:25 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

If we could see a full version of this it would be amazing, especially if released on the Arrow label. Granted the version we have now is flawed but I for one believe it definitely indicates that the original cut is a lost, if rough gem.

Like this? Share it using the links below!