Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1980's

Like Tree95Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th May 2009, 08:54 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Default THE KEEP 1983 Michael Mann

[]Michael Mann first came to the movie going public's attention with THIEF AKA VIOLENT STREETS.He then suprprised and shocked the critics that had applauded that film by turning to the ghastly genre that is the horror film.The KEEP pretty much bombed when first released in theatres and appeared the following year courtesy of CIC video.Since then,(apart from a Ltd Ed.VHS release from HMV)it has strangely failed to appear on DVD.Over the years,THE KEEP has built a massive cult following and due to the director's massive success,it's unavailability on the digital disc format,only seems to add to the 'mysticism' of the movie.
Mann based his cult oddity on a novel written by F.Paul Wilson,which sees a battalion of Nazi's(Led by Jurgen Prochnow) trooping towards a monolith of a fortress high in the Carpathian mountains.The fortress was built not to keep something out,but something in.This the Nazi's find to their cost when they accidentally unleash the ancient evil imprisoned within,and heads literally roll.
Enter a young Gabriel Byrne,playing a rather stereotypical SS Commondant.Byrne is appointed to find what has been slaughtering the soldiers and enlists the services of concentration camp prisoner and proffessor, Dr Cuza,(played by Ian McKellen).
The story at this point jumps to Greece,where a man with strange eyes(Scott Glenn) is setting off for Transylvania for a showdown with the Nazis and the murderous force.....
I won't go any further for the uninitiated.......
THE KEEP is a product of the eighties for sure with it's Tangerine Dream score and dry ice 'rock video' look.Many have knocked it for these reasons along with some of it's plotholes and (in some opinions) it's naff creature.(Which definetly a nod to 'DER GOLEM'.)
Anyone who looks back upon the eighties retro look with fondness will absolutely love the film.I know I do.I also recall paying a fortune for the long,out of print CIC video,and on first viewing,thought I had been well and truly scammed.However,on subsequent viewings,the film grew on me immensely.It remains one of my all time favourites now.
Paramount own the rights for this one,and why it hasn't recieved a glorious shiny special collector's edition is an absolute travesty.The film would undoubtedly sell well for Paramount.It's just a pity they don't sub-lease their films to companies like Shameless or Arrow,who would no doubt do the film justice.The DVDR version I own will,I suppose have to suffice for now......

What's all your opinions on this cult classic?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the-keep_lobby-card_01.jpg (49.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg the-keep_lobby-card_02.jpg (49.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg the-keep_lobby-card_03.jpg (46.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg the-keep_lobby-card_05.jpg (49.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg the-keep_lobby-card_06.jpg (49.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg b16b_12.JPG (14.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DzlItem587.jpg (6.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DzlItem595.jpg (7.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg keep.JPG (52.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Keepposter.jpg (20.7 KB, 4 views)

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.

Last edited by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs; 8th November 2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 8th May 2009, 09:13 PM
Active Cultist

Sorry Reaps but that blue on grey text is horrendous to read!
Old 8th May 2009, 09:20 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Sorted mate

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 10th May 2009, 08:31 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper72 View Post
I also recall paying a fortune for the long,out of print CIC video,and on first viewing,thought I had been well and truly scammed.However,on subsequent viewings,the film grew on me immensely.It remains one of my all time favourites now.
I have the CIC video too, Reaps. Great stuff.
Old 11th May 2009, 09:02 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

One of the coolest artwork jobs of the eighties Vince.FAR superior to the later HMV exclusive release.
Paramount will no doubt get round to it one day,or perhaps Lion's Gate will snap it up ala MY BLOODY VALENTINE.....

Old 13th May 2009, 09:33 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I have a dodgy bootleg somewhere!!!
Old 14th May 2009, 08:36 AM
Active Cultist

I've got a laserdisc copy of the film.

It's never been released in its intended form, and it shows... the film doesn't make sense, and it's obvious that large important parts have been removed. It suddenly jumps around from section to section to try give it some cohesion, but you can still see there's large chunks unexplained or just missing.

If you look over the script those parts were all there, and apparently filmed.

It's a shame because it has the potential to be great, and would be my favourite Michael Mann film if it were released in its full form. Unfortunately he's disowned the film and has no interest in releasing it. Some of the more famous actors are quite embarrassed by their performance in it as well, so I'd doubt they'd be too interested in spending time on releasing it.

That web site posted above has some fantastic information about it. I really hope he succeeds in getting that long version shown and released. He was very close to it with that premiere in London all planned and falling through at the last minute.
Old 14th May 2009, 04:50 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

You're absolutely right mate.It's criminal that this hasn't been released yet.

Old 14th May 2009, 04:55 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The CIC artwork was one of the BEST of the eighties.It was heavily promoted in all the weekly video trade mags at the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg keep.JPG (52.4 KB, 18 views)

Old 14th May 2009, 05:15 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Not a big fan im afraid of this film,
but I love the Reap's, reviews and stills plus reading every ones views.
Bloody brilliant idea Reap's, keep em coming.
That the best way to discuss a film i've ever come across.

Like this? Share it using the links below!