Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1980's

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st March 2018, 05:15 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default The Re-Animator Franchise

So I just saw Re-Animator and Bride of Re-Animator.

Jesus what rock was I living under? I can't believe either of these escaped my notice for so long (still haven't got Beyond Re-Animator).

So basically the first one which I saw yesterday was a complete surprise. I had no idea what it was about and whether or not it was regarded as a classic or a dud. Suffice it to say its definitely a classic! It has that 80's charm to it. Practical effects, full effort from the cast (Dr Hill in particular was a laugh, really liked him).

But again I've always been a fan of the Mad Scientist genre. Bride of Frankenstein is one of my all time favourites for instance. And the similarities are here, this feels like a three-way combination between The Evil Dead, the Universal Frankenstein films and Pet Semetary.

It all builds up to a thrilling climax which is easily the best part of the film...

SPOILER:
Its all quiet, besides Dr Hill, Megan, West and Cain. By this point you are kind of expecting mass mayhem from all the undead but as we've already seen, they re-animate slowly and one at a time so you don't think its coming yet anyway. As such its great to see the film break our expectations when literally EVERY SINGLE CORPSE IN THE ROOM JUST JUMPS UP! Its so brilliant and unexpected with Dr Hill controlling them. From then on its just chaos and gore exactly as it should be. And the ending with Megan getting brought back to life reminds me very much of Pet Semetary, its essentially the same thing.

Overall perfection. An 80's classic, worthy of standing next to Day of the Dead, Fright Night etc...

The sequel I watched today. My expectations were high: very risky move as usually in cases like this I get let down. But... You know what I really liked this one as well. I'm not quite sure if its just as good but it was very well done. It didn't feel like a rushed cash in, the magic was still present.

The best thing about both of these films and presumably the third one is Herbert West. What a character. This was the role that the actor Jeffrey Combs was born to play. He didn't disappoint the first time round and here I think he's even better. I appreciate that the characters from last time (Meg aside) all came back as well. This is very much like Bride of Frankenstein which worked so well because it continued the story with much of the same cast.

In fact... The whole film feels like a Universal horror film. Not just a Frankenstein one, because here we're in crypts and everything, just like Dracula or Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman at the start. We have a flying head that belongs to
SPOILER:
Dr Hill
with bat wings stitched onto it flying around... And yeah another class ending taking place both in the laboratory and the crypt...
SPOILER:
We have three subplots all coming to a head here. Firstly we have the Bride getting contructed and waking up. Secondly we have the feud between West and Hill concluding. Thirdly and finally Franchesca shows up to face off against the Bride as the re-animated corpses just cause bloody mayhem everywhere as everything either breaks or, as is the case with the crypt, completely caves in on everybody except Cain and Franchesca. This all happens in such a short space of time and it works.

Yeah sure this one might not get the praise the original seems to get based on what I read online but I liked it a lot. They work well together watched either together at once or within a day of seeing the first one.

Regarding what happens in the third one I know that West is in it (not a spoiler as it kind of spoilers it on the DVD case haha). How exactly he survived the end of Bride I don't know but I look forward to seeing it when I can...
Old 1st April 2018, 01:53 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I dearly love the original and also very much like the first sequel. Beyond Re-Animator was pretty disappointing imo.

btw Surprising how close to Lovecraft, the first 2 films are.
Old 1st April 2018, 01:59 AM
Cult Addict

I too like the sequel more than it's reputation, think it's a solidly entertaining film and can't see why people put it down.
I really didn't enjoy the third film though.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 1st April 2018, 05:10 AM
Seasoned Cultist

I love Re-Animator and I really like Bride of Re-Animator. Beyond Re-Animator is disappointing.

Check out the Integral Cut of Re-Animator. The unrated version is director Stuart Gordon's definitive vision of the film, but this extended cut is well worth a watch as an alternative version. If you're interested, I wrote a piece about the three different cuts of the film - just click the Diabolique link in my sig.
nosferatu42 likes this.

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks

Last edited by Cinematic Shocks; 1st April 2018 at 06:54 AM.
Old 2nd April 2018, 10:51 AM
Cultist

Re-Animator is still a killer movie!

Regarding Integral version of Re-Animator, it's approx 20min of extra footage.
Is it only dialogue scenes or do we also get to see extended gory stuff?
I have Anchor Bay's R1 dvd, this is a great 2 disc edition.

I can watch the Integral version on Youtube for free.
However if it's only extra dialogue scenes I won't bother wasting time watching it.

I have Bride of Re-Animator on german laserdisc.
This was the best and longest version available 1oomin playtime.
I haven't had time watching it yet.
Watched this movie as a VHS-bootleg back in the youngblood days in the 90's.
My copy was not perfect, maybe a 3rd - 4th generation copy with poor picture quality.
Therefore I never liked this movie or bothered to watch it again until I got my hands on the german LD.
When I have the time I will watch it.

I'm not sure, I can't remember if I have seen Beyond Re-Animator or not?
Is it worth buying?
Is it gory in many scenes not making this movie boring to watch?

Thanx
Old 2nd April 2018, 10:55 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I see many don't rate Beyond Re-Animator.

I actually think it's much better than the second film.

Prefer From Beyond to all of em' though.
Justin101 and Nordicdusk like this.
Old 2nd April 2018, 11:21 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I like Beyond Re-Animator too, but it’s definitely the worst of the three IMO
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 2nd April 2018, 11:48 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I like Beyond Re-Animator too, but it’s definitely the worst of the three IMO
I think it was perhaps in the order i watched them on disc that i preferred Beyond to Bride.

If i remember rightly Beyond Re-Animator came out on dvd before any of the others, certainly before the multi disc green boxed Re-Animator releases, so it seemed a breath of fresh air having not seen a Re-Animator film in years.

It's the old dvd release i have from Mosaic.
Old 2nd April 2018, 12:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I think it was perhaps in the order i watched them on disc that i preferred Beyond to Bride.

If i remember rightly Beyond Re-Animator came out on dvd before any of the others, certainly before the multi disc green boxed Re-Animator releases, so it seemed a breath of fresh air having not seen a Re-Animator film in years.

It's the old dvd release i have from Mosaic.

I didn’t see Beyond until Arrow Video released the DVD a few years back, I already owned DVD copies of the other two films and had watched them to death, so I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it and have watched it a few times since

I’m definitely gonna pick up the Blu from Umbrella that is due out in June and more than likely their blu of the other two when the price is right (not that I actually need any more copies )
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 2nd April 2018, 12:47 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

Prefer From Beyond to all of em' though.
I'm with you on this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!