Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1980's

Like Tree10Likes
  • 4 Post By Gothmogxx
  • 1 Post By Demdike@Cult Labs
  • 1 Post By bizarre_eye@Cult Labs
  • 2 Post By iank
  • 1 Post By The Reaper Man@Cult Labs
  • 1 Post By Demdike@Cult Labs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th March 2018, 11:47 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default Terror Train: Forgotten 80's Slasher classic?

Its amazing how many people sadly don't know this film exists. Compared to other films with Jamie Lee Curtis in them at the time like the first two Halloweens, The Fog and Prom Night, this one seems to sink under the radar.

What is there to hate here? Its 80’s slasher cinema at its near best, the only slasher films I can think of from this decade which either match or surpass it are A Nightmare on Elm Street, My Bloody Valentine and perhaps two or three of the Friday the 13ths (arguably The Fog but its debatable whether or not thats a slasher film, personally I say no).

Jamie Lee Curtis is in this at the very height of her horror career. One of few redeeming qualities in Prom Night she doesn’t disappoint here either. She is really strong in this movie and genuinely likeable along with most of the other characters, or good enough as their characters so you hate them like with Doc. Ben Johnson is in this also as the train conductor and he does a good job here as an authority like figure trying to keep everything under control. David Copperfield, the real life illusionist, is also here. He’s playing a character just called “the magician” so basically he’s playing himself. The magic scenes he performs in are pretty cool to watch.

The cinematography is fantastic here, which is expected, given that John Alcott previously worked on A Clockwork Orange, Barry Lyndon and the Shining. It really looks fantastic and is shot very well, helping add a lot of claustrophobia, as you would expect in a train setting.

It isn’t gory, not really. But like Halloween I don’t think it’s a film which really needs any gore. The suspense and everything else more than makes up for it, including yet another good film score.

Regarding the (obvious) killer and the ending...

SPOILER:
Kenny Hampson is the killer (the guy at the beginning) which may or may not be obvious (sadly when I saw it years back I knew this in advance however when I showed it to some of my friends they were surprised). But it is done in such a way which is effective. Most killers tend to just don one mask and go from there, but Kenny kills people and takes their costumes as the film goes on. Therefore you never know where the killer is, especially if you are watching it for the first time. I mean yes it is pretty implausible for him to get everywhere he is in the film, constantly changing disguises, including dressing up as the magician’s assistant, but thats just a minor nitpick, especially when you consider that many slasher films always seem to have teleporting killers. It works well and creates suspense. The final chase is one of the best i’ve ever seen, a clear highlight. Jamie Lee Curtis is trapped in the cage and Kenny knocks out all the lights while he lurks around outside trying to stab her through the bars. The final couple of minutes with the revelation of Kenny being the killer is good, Ben Johnson to the rescue as he knocks him out the train into a river.

Its a 10 out of 10 for me. Definitely one of my personal favourite Slasher films of all time and horror films of all time: more people need to see this! (I try to watch 31 horror films every October. Of the 31 horror films I watched last year this one was included. Only The Thing, The Fog and Hatchet II ranked higher in my estimation out of the other 30 films)
Old 12th March 2018, 11:51 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Personally i think Terror Train is awful.

The fact it's not remotely scary and has no gore or even atmosphere which makes it utterly redundant as a slasher film.

I remember swapping my region one copy with Pete for something as he'd never seen it. He was less than impressed too.

Nice write up though Gothmogxx for a film you clearly enjoy.
Gothmogxx likes this.
Old 13th March 2018, 07:29 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I thought Terror Train was merely okay. I'd probably watch it again, but wouldn't actively seek it out.

As Dem says, nice write-up though.
Gothmogxx likes this.
Old 13th March 2018, 08:16 AM
Cult Acolyte

I rather like Terror Train, and it has a great reveal and climax. I think it's miles better than the overrated Prom Night personally, which completely wastes JLC.
Old 13th March 2018, 07:52 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

FAR better than Prom Night.
Attempts to do something different with the usual set-up.
iank likes this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 13th March 2018, 08:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I thought it was ok not the greatest slasher flick but not many horror movies are set on a train but thought it inspired the 2008 movie Train
Old 13th March 2018, 08:36 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
I thought it was ok not the greatest slasher flick but not many horror movies are set on a train but thought it inspired the 2008 movie Train
Train! Now that's one really bad movie.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 13th March 2018, 08:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Train! Now that's one really bad movie.
I thought it was good, far better than Snakes on a train
Old 13th March 2018, 08:59 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
I thought it was good, far better than Snakes on a train
Good? It's awful. Such a hackneyed and stupid plot. Who the hell boards a train run by Nazi skinhead yobs in the first place? That's just the first of many plot holes.

As for it being better than Snakes on a Train - a 48 hour Jonah Hill marathon is better than that.
Old 13th March 2018, 09:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Good? It's awful. Such a hackneyed and stupid plot. Who the hell boards a train run by Nazi skinhead yobs in the first place? That's just the first of many plot holes.

As for it being better than Snakes on a Train - a 48 hour Jonah Hill marathon is better than that.
I can't really comment on Jonah Hill only seen two movies with him in it, the concept of the movie using a train to harvest organs is a better plot than Paradise Lost. Not the best movie but Melissa George in a bikini did sell the movie

Like this? Share it using the links below!