Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1980's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=553)
-   -   Ghosthouse (1988) (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1980s/141-ghosthouse-1988-a.html)

RobbieD 13th February 2008 04:03 PM

Ghosthouse (1988)

Has anyone seen this? I got the Vipco DVD for £2 earlier in CEX! Directed by Umberto Lenzi. :ack:

Almar@Cult Labs 13th February 2008 04:34 PM

And to think years ago I have to pay £2.99 for an ex-rental VHS!

JAMIOUSE 13th February 2008 08:10 PM

Wasn't there a lot of films under the Ghosthouse title? They were mostly directed by Umberto Lenzi I think, were they put out under the Vipco Houses Of Doom range?

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 13th February 2008 08:49 PM

Not bad m8,i have the vipco release,the other titles you're thinking of is house of doom boxset.........

ecc 13th February 2008 10:14 PM

The HOUSES OF DOOM titles were retitled as GHOSTHOUSE sequels (along with Lamberto Bava's THE OGRE, I think, which was retitled as a DEMONS sequel for its US DVD release).

In the UK, Fabrizio Laurenti's WITCHCRAFT/WITCHERY was retitled GHOSTHOUSE II as a sequel to GHOSTHOUSE. In Italy WITCHCRAFT was LA CASA 4 and GHOSTHOUSE was LA CASA 3, both promoted as sequels to THE EVIL DEAD and THE EVIL DEAD II (respectively, LA CASA and LA CASA 2) rather than the US New World Pictures HOUSE series.

I would like to see a goodlooking version of GHOSTHOUSE as well. The Imperial tape in the US was uncut but incredibly dark during the opening murders (I don't know if that was censorship or some issue with the transfer because those opening scenes are brighter in other releases as are the scenes surrounding them - you can't even see the machete held near the camera in the Imperial transfer though it has a great cover which features a brighter shot of the mother's murder on the back cover).

RobbieD 14th February 2008 08:03 AM

That's confusing, ecc! (Not your explanation, the whole re-naming thing). I've got the Shriek Show release of House of Clocks, is that part of the House of Doom box set that includes Ghosthouse?

Just had a look on Play & it says there's 4 movies and one is directed by Umberto Lenzi, was it renamed again!?

ecc 14th February 2008 09:01 AM

Lenzi directed the good HOUSE OF WITCHCRAFT and the insultingly bad HOUSE OF LOST SOULS. Fulci directed HOUSE OF CLOCKS and SWEET HOUSE OF HORRORS. HOUSE OF LOST SOULS is GHOSTHOUSE 3 in Germany.

JAMIOUSE 14th February 2008 06:49 PM

Of the series Sweet House Of Horrors has to be the worst, it opens well with the nasty murders of the parents then just becomes stupid as it carries on. The scene with the mechanical diggers made my toes crawl! Lenzi's of entries are bad and boring but Sweet House does it for me. House Of Clocks on the other hand I like, it's badly dubbed and silly but at least has some charcter and atmosphere.