Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1980's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th November 2008, 07:39 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Default Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982)

HALLOWEEN III SEASON OF THE WITCH......Love it or hate it?
Me personally,I love it even though it's not associated with Mr Myers....it's creepy,atmospheric and the cinematography by Dean Cundey is stunning as always!Tom Atkins is an unsung genre hero imo.....
I've just splashed out on this Japanese version which cost me 48 quid.....
What's your opinion on this 'little gem'?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5105QFPSJYL__SS500_.jpg (39.0 KB, 31 views)

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 25th November 2008, 09:21 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

It's a decent film but to be honest with you I'm fed up of hearing how great and underrated it is on film forums. Maybe it was underrated pre-2000 but now I reckon it's vastly overrated. My favourite Halloween sequel is IV, 'tis mighty fun.

What made you pay 48 nicker for the Japanese disc?
Old 25th November 2008, 09:22 PM
Ex-member

the only halloween film i like.MM sucks as a bad guy
Old 25th November 2008, 10:44 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

It's great and underrated.....
48 nicker?-The artwork......

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 25th November 2008, 11:31 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Coincidentally enough I picked up a sealed copy of the MIA DVD from a flea market last week for a princely 75p. The print is absolutely Vipcocious (VHS transfer) but at least it's completely uncut (the only uncut UK home release to date).

The title did it no favours at all. Perhaps simply Halloween: Season Of The Witch would have been better. Nice in-joke references too. Especially Halloween on the TV, Dick Warlock (Halloween II's Michael Myers) as the hospital assassin, Nancy Kyes (formerly Loomis) from the original Halloween as Tom Atkins wife etc. It isn't a masterpiece but I quite enjoy it.
Old 25th November 2008, 11:32 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I liked Haloween 3 , and really enjoyed the 1st film , but im not really a Haloween fan to be honest.

The artwork on Reap's version is great though.
Old 26th November 2008, 04:51 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Nr 3 ALWAYS feels like an odd bumper when I'm getting my (in earler years) anual "Halloween Series Marathon" going.
Around the 31. I enjoyed the first two installments...and still I just can't get myself watching "Season of the Witch" for the SECOND year in a row...Meaning that- nutcase fan that I am- I couldn't get myself jumping just over it to the (imho excellent) "Halloween IV"!
So that makes for 2 years of uncompleted "Halloween Marathons"....
I'll safe my further thoughts for the inevitable review at some later point, but I might tell as much right now: Even though I'm a HUGE Myers fanboy (Ever been since my teens), I won't stamp it into the ground....
Old 26th November 2008, 07:44 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I love this one too & along with Humanoids From The Deep (Monster) it remains one of my favourite films of the early 80s.(I don't suppose anyones's seen the Japanese disc of that for a reasonable price as I only have the r1 missing the decapitation ?)
Old 26th November 2008, 05:21 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Fortune's Mark,bloody fortunes mate and the c**ts selling 'em on Amazon Japan WON'T ship to the uk.......I found a MONSTER on AM.JP a couple of months ago,it worked out about 40 odd quid,but whatever happened,the bastard refunded me instead of sending the DVD......
The New Concorde region 1 will have to suffice,even though it's slightly cut....
It and Halloween 3,two of the best movies from the glorious days of video...

Old 26th November 2008, 05:38 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Halloween 3 is probably my favourite except for the first. It's got the feel of a twilight zone/outer limits episode and I thought the ending was quite shocking when I first saw it (and really downbeat too).

Not sure I'd pay 40-odd quid for it though - I got the Mia version from the pound shop a few years ago and that'll do for me!! That artwork is nice though...

Like this? Share it using the links below!