Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1980's

Poll: Best Nightmare On Elm Street?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Best Nightmare On Elm Street?

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th May 2010, 09:56 AM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

WOOO!

I just got my A Nightmare On Elm Street: The Dream Dealers book in the post! Wooohooo! Time to do some reading!

EDIT:

Just read the first chapter and WOAH! I'm luving it already. [spoiler] Straight in there with a great dream sequence full of amazing imagery. So far the main character, Devon, has found himself in a Roman arena fighting a large (green and red!) lion, whilst an audience of decomposing, rotting skeletons watch as crows peck away at their flesh and their eyes. It's all set in the present day (2006!) in which a new technology has been developed called a Trancebox which allows people to live other people's dreams. It just so happens that this company is using the last memories of several Springwood murder victims, who's last memories strangely seem to be a nightmare! [/spoiler]

I was worried about how'd they go about doing the dream sequences as the medium of film seems to allow for disorientation, but this book, so far, manages to achieve this too, whilst going even further than a film can, in some cases. It's funny though how [spoiler] the first nightmare takes place within a (silent) film as well as the constant reverences to films. [/spoiler]

Last edited by iluvdvds@Cult Labs; 14th May 2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 18th May 2010, 11:35 AM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

MEGA SPOILERS!!!

I went to see A Nightmare On Elm Street remake the other day and I thought it was excellent! I tried to go into the film being as unbiased as I could, sure it's a remake and sure I luv Freddy but let's see what happens.

I'd say that this remake was actually more of a reimagining than a remake, as the story is almost completly different to Craven's original, with, of course, a few familiar scenes. For example, whilst there may be the bath scene, the infamous bed nightmare with the spray of blood gushing out is completly missing in the remake as is there a officer (John Saxon). But this doesn't harm the film at all, since it's not needed for the plot. Plus, if you were not such a fan of the original Home Alone-esque ending, then this new ending is another possitive point which is very reminiscent of the later sequels.

But the main question is/was whether Freddy's any good? Well, the first time we see him (very early on) I wasn't convinced at all, and wanted ol' Englund back ASAP, but as the film continued I found myself becoming very fond of the new Freddy. He seems to be a lot darker and much more evil. His wise-cracks are still there (although all of these witty lines he says are nicked from all the other films, such as 'Now that's what I call a wet dream' 'You're mouth says no no, but your body says yes yes'). The make-up on the other hand, I'm not a fan of. Freddy looks like a disfigured monkey!

We are also TREATED to a few sequences showing Freddy before his burning. At first I was worried about this as it seemed they were trying to portray Freddy as an innocent who was wrongly burnt. Thank God they never kept to that!

The gore is very well done with only a few moments that are spoiled by shitty CGI. But overall this Nightmare is definetly NOT a nightmare as some fans seem to be moaning about on the web, IMO. It's an excellent remake, a bizillion times better than Friday The 13th remake (HEAVE!) and even Freddy's Dead. Check it out if you get the chance.
Old 18th May 2010, 12:28 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Send a message via Yahoo to darthelvis

Still need to see the remake but a big fan of the series. Parts 1,3 & 7 are my favourites.

Not got much in way of merchandise, used to have a NOES pt 4 bus shelter poster but have lost it in my many moves. Got some sealed Nightmare on Elm Street collector cards and been meaning to buy one of the remake toys. I have a Freddy pre burned figure from the original series.

Also met Robert Englund in Aberdeen many years ago and got a couple of signed photos. I seem to remember a very young Calum waiting outside!

Will try and catch remake this weekend!
Hang Loose & Join the Community @ www.theforcebook.com

Last edited by darthelvis; 18th May 2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 18th May 2010, 02:35 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

The first one is my favourite. But, as with the Friday the 13th series, I quite like all of them. Sometimes I like more of the same, especially if I like the central premise. Yes, things do run out of steam, but I'm quite partial to the series, mainly because I like the character of Freddy, he's a great screen villain, so I don't object to it having numerous sequels, even if they are of diminishing quality.
Old 20th May 2010, 07:31 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdvds View Post
MEGA SPOILERS!!!

I went to see A Nightmare On Elm Street remake the other day and I thought it was excellent! I tried to go into the film being as unbiased as I could, sure it's a remake and sure I luv Freddy but let's see what happens.

I'd say that this remake was actually more of a reimagining than a remake, as the story is almost completly different to Craven's original, with, of course, a few familiar scenes. For example, whilst there may be the bath scene, the infamous bed nightmare with the spray of blood gushing out is completly missing in the remake as is there a officer (John Saxon). But this doesn't harm the film at all, since it's not needed for the plot. Plus, if you were not such a fan of the original Home Alone-esque ending, then this new ending is another possitive point which is very reminiscent of the later sequels.

But the main question is/was whether Freddy's any good? Well, the first time we see him (very early on) I wasn't convinced at all, and wanted ol' Englund back ASAP, but as the film continued I found myself becoming very fond of the new Freddy. He seems to be a lot darker and much more evil. His wise-cracks are still there (although all of these witty lines he says are nicked from all the other films, such as 'Now that's what I call a wet dream' 'You're mouth says no no, but your body says yes yes'). The make-up on the other hand, I'm not a fan of. Freddy looks like a disfigured monkey!

We are also TREATED to a few sequences showing Freddy before his burning. At first I was worried about this as it seemed they were trying to portray Freddy as an innocent who was wrongly burnt. Thank God they never kept to that!

The gore is very well done with only a few moments that are spoiled by shitty CGI. But overall this Nightmare is definetly NOT a nightmare as some fans seem to be moaning about on the web, IMO. It's an excellent remake, a bizillion times better than Friday The 13th remake (HEAVE!) and even Freddy's Dead. Check it out if you get the chance.
Sorry dude but i really disliked this film.The best scenes were of freddy before he was burned and were quite unsetteling,but the rest of the film left me cold,done nothing new imo,but each to their own mate.
Old 20th May 2010, 07:42 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Each to their own indeed mate I totally agree with you about the scenes about Freddy's past - although most of this we knew already, but still. What did you make of the new Krueger, Tall Dude?
Old 20th May 2010, 07:44 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Gonna sound like a right fan boy here but didnt rate the new freddy at all,englund is freddy kruger imo
Old 20th May 2010, 07:47 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Agreed (again ) NO ONE can beat Englund's Freddy. NO ONE!!!!!! It's just a real shame he never played the role in this film. Any ideas why? IMDb are saying how Englund didn't want to 'confuse' audiences that this was not another sequel, but a remake. Though I'm not sure how much I believe that.

They should've payed the man more!
Old 20th May 2010, 08:00 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Totally agree dude! Its not the worst of the remakes/sequels that honour would probably go to either the wicker man,prom night or the fog
Old 20th May 2010, 08:03 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

The Wicker Man remake really seems to be the bitch of all remakes - everyone hates it. And rightly so! That and the Friday The 13th remake are probably the two I despise most

Like this? Share it using the links below!