Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1980's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=553)
-   -   Madman (1982) Joe Giannone (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1980s/3046-madman-1982-joe-giannone.html)

dis 16th June 2010 08:33 PM

Madman (1982) Joe Giannone

hi all,does anybody own or has anybody seen madman? i guess yes! good or bad film? personally i think its a great film,if a little slow. yeah,a rip off the likes of the burning and friday,but i think its a good flik and maybe deserves a sequel?in my eyes it is a classic 80s horror.bad acting,hair styles a good story.done many times but still a good one?

BioZombie 16th June 2010 08:37 PM

I pick up the anchor bay dvd in a second hand shop. I couldnt even get half way through it, for me it was pretty god awful. Formulaic, badly acted and not really any good kills (usally the best reason to watch 80's slashers). Plus it if i remember right it had a god awful scene in a hot tub.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 16th June 2010 09:49 PM

Not bad.
But I prefer The Burning.:nod:

There's a lot of people like it though,and I've seen a lot worse in the slasher dept.:nod:

Hammer time 16th June 2010 10:32 PM

I thought it was slow,too dark and lacking gore.I liked the bleak ending though.
I sold the uk AB disk on ebay for £17 :crazy: only cost me a fiver.

Splatterdragon73 18th June 2010 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioZombie (Post 86679)
Plus it if i remember right it had a god awful scene in a hot tub.

You're not wrong there. Diabolical music during this sequence too!

I actually quite like Madman and consider the film one of my fave '80s backwoods slashers (stop sniggering at the back!). I also approve of the use of the colour Blue in certain moments and i'm happy with movie's pace and gore quotient.

Some of the cast members aren't exactly photogenic though, it has to be said!

Pretty decent ABUK/US DVD releases too despite the non-anamorphic prints.:)

Pete 18th June 2010 02:54 PM

A new special edition is coming from Code Red.

Philleh 18th June 2010 03:31 PM

Just in time for Halloween and will be anamorphic apparently! :thumb:

Sargento 18th June 2010 09:31 PM

I have a fond affection for this movie as I grew up with a pretty worn VHS copy! Me and my mate would sit and watch it and sing along the Madman Marz song.

I agree it is pretty slow, but it does have some good stalk and slash scenes. The actors and acting is pretty abysmal yeah I agree.

Couldn't resist picking up the AB DVD release tho ... think it cost me £3.99.

;)

Splatterdragon73 19th June 2010 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loops (Post 87245)
A new special edition is coming from Code Red.

Nice one, Loops and needless to say i'm up for a copy!:thumb:

Splatterdragon73 19th June 2010 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sargento (Post 87385)
I have a fond affection for this movie as I grew up with a pretty worn VHS copy! it does have some good stalk and slash scenes.;)

I also first caught Madman on VFO's VHS release (featuring the old British cinema X rated print i believe.) many moons ago and found the credit scenes quite memorable too. What with the typical '80s Casio-esque synth score and black lettering against a red background. The idea of having encompassing tree branches resembling clawed hands was also a novelty i thought.

The stalk 'n slash moments are pretty tense imo (Jan Claire hiding in the fridge!) and i rank this film right up there with my other fave fright fare of the time such as The Burning, The Prowler, Hell Night and Intruder. How about Arrow releasing these latter two, Almar?:)