Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1980's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=553)
-   -   Madman (1982) Joe Giannone (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1980s/3046-madman-1982-joe-giannone.html)

dis 16th June 2010 08:33 PM

Madman (1982) Joe Giannone

hi all,does anybody own or has anybody seen madman? i guess yes! good or bad film? personally i think its a great film,if a little slow. yeah,a rip off the likes of the burning and friday,but i think its a good flik and maybe deserves a sequel?in my eyes it is a classic 80s horror.bad acting,hair styles a good story.done many times but still a good one?

BioZombie 16th June 2010 08:37 PM

I pick up the anchor bay dvd in a second hand shop. I couldnt even get half way through it, for me it was pretty god awful. Formulaic, badly acted and not really any good kills (usally the best reason to watch 80's slashers). Plus it if i remember right it had a god awful scene in a hot tub.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 16th June 2010 09:49 PM

Not bad.
But I prefer The Burning.:nod:

There's a lot of people like it though,and I've seen a lot worse in the slasher dept.:nod:

Hammer time 16th June 2010 10:32 PM

I thought it was slow,too dark and lacking gore.I liked the bleak ending though.
I sold the uk AB disk on ebay for £17 :crazy: only cost me a fiver.

Splatterdragon73 18th June 2010 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioZombie (Post 86679)
Plus it if i remember right it had a god awful scene in a hot tub.

You're not wrong there. Diabolical music during this sequence too!

I actually quite like Madman and consider the film one of my fave '80s backwoods slashers (stop sniggering at the back!). I also approve of the use of the colour Blue in certain moments and i'm happy with movie's pace and gore quotient.

Some of the cast members aren't exactly photogenic though, it has to be said!

Pretty decent ABUK/US DVD releases too despite the non-anamorphic prints.:)

Pete 18th June 2010 02:54 PM

A new special edition is coming from Code Red.

Philleh 18th June 2010 03:31 PM

Just in time for Halloween and will be anamorphic apparently! :thumb:

Sargento 18th June 2010 09:31 PM

I have a fond affection for this movie as I grew up with a pretty worn VHS copy! Me and my mate would sit and watch it and sing along the Madman Marz song.

I agree it is pretty slow, but it does have some good stalk and slash scenes. The actors and acting is pretty abysmal yeah I agree.

Couldn't resist picking up the AB DVD release tho ... think it cost me £3.99.

;)

Splatterdragon73 19th June 2010 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loops (Post 87245)
A new special edition is coming from Code Red.

Nice one, Loops and needless to say i'm up for a copy!:thumb:

Splatterdragon73 19th June 2010 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sargento (Post 87385)
I have a fond affection for this movie as I grew up with a pretty worn VHS copy! it does have some good stalk and slash scenes.;)

I also first caught Madman on VFO's VHS release (featuring the old British cinema X rated print i believe.) many moons ago and found the credit scenes quite memorable too. What with the typical '80s Casio-esque synth score and black lettering against a red background. The idea of having encompassing tree branches resembling clawed hands was also a novelty i thought.

The stalk 'n slash moments are pretty tense imo (Jan Claire hiding in the fridge!) and i rank this film right up there with my other fave fright fare of the time such as The Burning, The Prowler, Hell Night and Intruder. How about Arrow releasing these latter two, Almar?:)

Sargento 19th June 2010 12:53 PM

Good one .. I too recall the opening credits! The black on red caused havoc with the TV on old VHS .... horrid colour bleed and speckles everywhere. Twas the same on A Clockwork Orange too ... thank the lord for DVD! You are right about the casio-synth esqh title music too. Cringe worthy really .. but I still hold the film in close fondness. Not a patch on The Burning or The Prowler though.

;)

Splatterdragon73 20th June 2010 10:36 AM

How about a deformed maniac match bewteen Madman Marz and Cropsy the cooked camp caretaker?

The axe versus the garden shears in a bloody battle to the death!

No interference from The Prowler allowed though. I'm not sure he'd measure up to either of the aforementioned psycho fiends!;)

Sargento 20th June 2010 02:26 PM

My money is on Marz!!!! He a big bearish brute of a maniac!!!!

:laugh:

TheMadmanMarz 20th June 2010 03:02 PM

Hey goredogs.... TheMadmanMarz replies

This is a copy of my newbie email pasted here for those who haven't checked out new member thread lately.

Hello fellow hounds.... I'm Gary Sales, Producer of the 80's Slasher, MADMAN.

I noticed some threads here discussing MADMAN, which has been OOP since 2006, and I felt I should waste no time alerting this fine group of gorehounds that Madman Marz is gettin' the Re-Boot in several wayz.

I've made a deal with the boyz at CODE RED to release a 30 Year Anniversary Edition DVD of Madman this September. Along with it, is a brand new featurette with interviews of cast and crew, lovingly made by NY horror filmmakers Victor Bonacore & Dave Beinlich--- plus it'a also got lots of my personal, never-before-seen, vintage photos and other rare images from the 1980 shoot.

Not only am I putting this new DVD out for your viewing pleasure, but I'm working day and night to set up the NEW MADMAN MARZ 3D RE-IMAGINING PROJECT. and get MADMAN MARZ up on 3D screens around the world in 2011.

MADMAN MARZ, the re-imagining is a great script (written by Marz himself, the son of Marz and yours truly.) (The script is literally born of our blood and those of you who've listened to the commentary track on the AB DVD know the story of how Marz's son, Jonathan Sebastian was born during the making of MADMAN and Marz ran off to the hospital in full costume to be at his wife's side. Don't worry... it's all on the new DVD).

The 3D MADMAN MARZ re-imagining is chocked full of nasty killz and gut-busting suspense sequences. I'm teaming up with some awesome filmmaking personnel to pull it all off top drawer and am pissing myself having to wait to present it to you and the rest of the world.

Be the first to know whaz up with MARZ .
Like us and become a fan on Facebook and suggest us to your horror loving friends.
Follow and retweet us on twitter.
Converse with me right here or by direct email.

Love him or hate him MADMAN MARZ will be slashing his way back onto your screens real soon.

Looking forward to conversing with all the members.

Have a nasty good day!

TheMadmanMarz 20th June 2010 03:21 PM

Marz vs. Cropsy

Hey Splatter et al...

If you know the story behind Madman (another tale told on the DVD commentary track coming out on CODE RED'S New 30 Year Anni Edition DVD in Sept)
I was originally making the Cropsy legend but a few weeks before principal photo, we found out that another company was also doing that public domain legend, we got a copy of their script and I created Marz and he's been slashing ever since.

Here's a question for serious Madman Marz triva mavens. Well, at least for anyone who's listened to the commentary on the original DVD or seen any of my interviews on FearNet.com or DeadPit.com, etc.
Anyone out there happen to know who those other guys making Cropsy were and what company they became?

-gs

P.S. There's a cool new doc on The Cropsy Tale that's just breaking here in the states. Intriguing and creepy and a testament to the power of Urban Legends.

Vampix 20th June 2010 03:44 PM

You can put me down for a copy of Code Red's new Madman SE, never seen the film but heard lots about it. :)

Sargento 20th June 2010 03:44 PM

Hi Gary

A great plug for the upcoming Code Red release .. and why not!!! if the fans aren't made aware, what is the point eh mate? :clap:

One thing I do hope is that the 2011 3D re-imaging of Madman steers clear of CGI kills!!!! They are ruining new horror movies!!! Bring back rubber and corn syrup blood!!:rockon:

wayfarer 20th June 2010 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sargento (Post 87796)
Hi Gary

A great plug for the upcoming Code Red release .. and why not!!! if the fans aren't made aware, what is the point eh mate? :clap:

One thing I do hope is that the 2011 3D re-imaging of Madman steers clear of CGI kills!!!! They are ruining new horror movies!!! Bring back rubber and corn syrup blood!!:rockon:

I agree on both counts. I hate CGI blood effects. I wasn't so bothered with it in Ninja Assassin because the movie was mad anyway, but in most horrors it just looks shite.

An FB page my fellow fans might like;

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=115713981794038

It could do with some activity.

Sargento 20th June 2010 05:07 PM

I thought Ninja Assassin was dire ... maybe it was because it was literally FULL of CGI gore!! Most of the later Romero zombie movies are too .... but then again they were dire ..... (no, stop! don't get into that argument again!!!)

:shocked:

wayfarer 20th June 2010 05:25 PM

I enjoyed Ninja Assassin for what it was. But i can wholeheartedly see why the majority of movie fans hated it. The use of CG blood in the later Dead movies was horrible and unnecessary.

Sargento 20th June 2010 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayfarer (Post 87806)
I enjoyed Ninja Assassin for what it was. But i can wholeheartedly see why the majority of movie fans hated it. The use of CG blood in the later Dead movies was horrible and unnecessary.

It's ruining movies completely in my view .... it it far too unconvincing and off-putting. I really can't see the movie makers making a u-turn on CGI blood and gore effects as surely it is so much cheaper and re-work is so much easier.

:(

wayfarer 20th June 2010 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sargento (Post 87807)
It's ruining movies completely in my view .... it it far too unconvincing and off-putting. I really can't see the movie makers making a u-turn on CGI blood and gore effects as surely it is so much cheaper and re-work is so much easier.

:(

It's also easier to release a PG-13 vesion of a movie and take the CG gore out, and then reinstate it for an Unrated release.:rolleyes:

Sargento 20th June 2010 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayfarer (Post 87808)
It's also easier to release a PG-13 vesion of a movie and take the CG gore out, and then reinstate it for an Unrated release.:rolleyes:

Good point!

Reminds me of the old Megadrive SNES videogame versions of Mortal Kombat when you could turn the gore on and off with a code!!!

wayfarer 20th June 2010 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sargento (Post 87809)
Good point!

Reminds me of the old Megadrive SNES videogame versions of Mortal Kombat when you could turn the gore on and off with a code!!!

:lol: I remember those days!

Sargento 20th June 2010 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayfarer (Post 87812)
:lol: I remember those days!

Not sure they were good old days tho Way .. and it appears we are going back to them!:shocked:

Splatterdragon73 21st June 2010 09:23 AM

In answer to your question, Marz,

Harvey and Bob Weinstein later to become the driving force behind Miramax Releasing (or 'Distribution' can't recall which exactly.).

There was also another name associated with The Burning i found quite amusing, one 'Corky Burger'! Ironic i thought for a film in which the killer is described early on as "A f*****' Big Mac overdone!".:lol:

dis 21st June 2010 04:39 PM

hi, dis here.seems a few people like my thread over mad man.there is also a lot of talk about the burning,which is even better than mad man and MAYBE better than the original friday?cropsy and jason are two of the best killers ever!
as for cgi i also agree that it is ruining films,and not just horror! lets hear more about the burning?
speak soon.

Pete 21st June 2010 04:45 PM

The Burning is one of my favouite slashers, it shits in the face of the dreadful (IMO) Friday the 13th.

Peter Neal 21st June 2010 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loops (Post 87944)
The Burning is one of my favouite slashers, it shits in the face of the dreadful (IMO) Friday the 13th.

Errr...don't let Mrs. Voorhees hear that, loops! :p

Personally, I'd still take the original "Friday" over both, "The Burning" and "Madman".:nod:

And while I would consider "The Burning" to be the one delivering better as a straightforward horror flick, I think that "Madman" has more charm, being the overall more "likeable" movie of the two, partly because of its reknown faults.:pop2:

I just hope they DON'T re-create the original's jacuzzi scene in the 3D redux! :shocked:

Splatterdragon73 22nd June 2010 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Neal (Post 87956)
I just hope they DON'T re-create the original's jacuzzi scene in the 3D redux! :shocked:

Damn right and this putrid part of Madman is the only scene in the film i don't like for obvious reasons. Anybody here yet to see Madman Marz's original outing will know what Peter and i mean if or when they eventually catch the movie. It's a teeth-grindingly and mind-numbingly bad moment in an otherwise enjoyable little slasher imo.

I also like the blink 'n you'll miss it (him?) glimpses of the titular killer in Madman. A similar tactic also employed to good effect in the equally highly likeable Hell Night.:)

Splatterdragon73 22nd June 2010 09:17 AM

The use of Blue lighting in Madman also remains a nice touch imo. I feel this visual highlight gives the film quite a cool look.

I also think the movie's kills aren't bad either. Nothing to worry Jason Voorhees of course, but a solid selection of slaughter nonetheless.

The moment where one male opens up a cupboard door and switches on the light only to find Madman Marz waiting with one of his clawed hands to tear out his victim's throat is an admirable attempt to jolt the audience imo.

I admit i don't believe Madman is talked about as much as other memorable slashfests of the era such as The Burning and the Friday the 13th saga. But Joe Giannone's low-budgeter remains a minor gem imo. Not a perfect film, but certainly no waste of celluloid either.:)

atgthatsme 22nd June 2010 01:40 PM

Whoops thought I read Mad Men when I came on here :P

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 22nd June 2010 04:46 PM

Yeah old Marz was always gonna come runner up to Jason,Michael,Freddy,Cropsy and Ghostface.....

Sounds like the Jackson Five!:lol:

Sargento 22nd June 2010 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man (Post 88149)
Yeah old Marz was always gonna come runner up to Jason,Michael,Freddy,Cropsy and Ghostface.....

Sounds like the Jackson Five!:lol:

Certianly a more entertaining Jackson 5! Oooh Michael could be Cropsy ... (the Pepsi commercial?)

:dance:

Sorry! I can't help it .. it's not my fault!

:eek:

Splatterdragon73 23rd June 2010 09:47 AM

I reckon Madman Marz would totally make Mincemeat outta Ghostface.:tongue1:

No sickeningly self-referential and horribly hip teenage psychos here!

It's old school movie maniacs all the way, baby!;):)