Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1980's

Like Tree110Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd June 2010, 01:44 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Default The Evil Dead Saga

It does what it says on the tin, or hopefully will do; a thread designed to discuss The Evil Dead in all it's forms whether it be movies, games or comic books - anything.
Old 23rd June 2010, 09:40 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Imo TED is a perfect example of brilliance on a budget. Sam Raimi and his creative crew may have had little money to work with but they made up for lack of financing with a flourish of resourcefulness.

Sure, The film isn't exactly an original concept with it's teens-in-peril plot, slack script and barely passable performances. And don't forget those hairdo discrepancies and 'Fake Shemp' usage! But i personally couldn't care less about these shortcomings as i think TED still delivers in abundance on atmosphere, scares and gloriously gratuitous gore. Not to mention Raimi's dynamic, frenetic visual style and apt use of editing and sound.

There's no doubt that some of the FX has aged very poorly and was even lacklustre back when the movie was first released. But other onscreen graphic acts still look good even now in the face of overexposed CGI.

Joseph LoDuca's sinister strings still send a shiver up the spine and i truly believe Raimi's devilish demonic delight still boasts the scariest twilight woodlands i've seen on film.

And remember TED was originally rejected by various American releasing outfits and first found fame on U.K. shores. Us Blighty based horror devotees embraced the movie when U.S. studio suits turned their backs on it.

Within The Woods is a minor gem too imo and i wish Raimi would relinquish his rigid grip on the rights to this Deadite dry run and bless us with a new legit lease of life for this short but superior slice of Kandarian carnage.
dis likes this.
Old 24th June 2010, 12:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

As reported elsewhere, I saw The Evil Dead on video rental upon first release. I had seen some stills in the mag DVD World (remember it, with the glamour models on the cover?). The black and white still of Cheryl in the basement, drooling black blood really caught my imagination, along with the famous Stephen King quote; "A Black Rainbow of Terror" or something similar.
Looking at it now, the makeup FX were very low rent but they worked well enough at the time and I'll still take em over CGI nonsense.

MikeOutWest and I first saw EDII at a screening in Gants Hill of all places. All I remember is crying with laughter. It tickled us initially; Ash and the plates for example. It was the sort of humour that would inspire the League of Gentlemen. The only thing wrong, for me was the make-up effects. They looked too rubbery. The first appearance of a possessed Ed looked superb and in keeping with the first movie. Then, the puppet head they used for the hair eating looked horribly phoney. I preferred the latex and cornflakes make up from TED.

AOD went too far down the comedy route for my liking. It's entertaining but far removed from the original tone. You can see Raimi's progression towards big budget blockbusters like Spider-Man though. Ash had gone from a bit of scaredy-cat to an indifferent Mad Max like character. I preferred the K-Mart ending too.
Old 24th June 2010, 12:45 PM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfarer View Post
the famous Stephen King quote; "A Black Rainbow of Terror" or something similar.
The only thing wrong with TEDII, for me was the make-up effects. They looked too rubbery.
AOD went too far down the comedy route for my liking. It's entertaining but far removed from the original tone.
"The ultimate experience in gruelling terror!" according to King way back when. Maybe TED is not quite that scary now but still capable of delivering the jolts imo.

As with the first film some of the sequel's FX have stood the test of time and some haven't. When the Deadites are damaged or destroyed i still prefer watching the blood lossage of TED instead of the coloured body fluids of Raimi's riotous follow-up. Some of TEDII is no doubt darkly funny but i personally would've kept it all hardcore horror. I do admit though some of Dan Hicks' onscreen suffering is hilarious.

"Get the axe, we'll kill it when it comes back!".

I agree about AOD and the movie's dismal failure at the box-office seems to suggest other fans wanted more scares and splatter rather than daftness and dust. The third entry is quite entertaining if taken as a horror comedy in it's own right. But as an addition to TED canon Raimi's calamitous combo of stop-motion and slapstick just doesn't cut the mustard imo.
Old 5th July 2010, 05:55 PM
Seasoned Cultist

loved it,love it and always love it! shoestring budget,5 actors,great story and effects-brilliant!
shame he made part 2 as think it would have been better leaving it has a 1 off like madman,the burning and many others!
think we need a version that contains the evil dead AND within the woods! think someone has,on here i believe?
Old 6th July 2010, 09:45 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by dis View Post
loved it,love it and always love it! shoestring budget,5 actors,great story and effects-brilliant!
shame he made part 2 as think it would have been better leaving it has a 1 off like madman,the burning and many others!
think we need a version that contains the evil dead AND within the woods! think someone has,on here i believe?
I have a Limited Edition German Big Box (?) version of "Tanz Der Teufel" that includes a very ropey version of Within the Woods. It's a VHS transfer with all the damage included

I may well have to put it on ebay to get some funds for more discs, the rate I've been going.
Old 6th July 2010, 05:23 PM
Seasoned Cultist

dont do it! sounds very rare.a must have in your collection!
Old 9th July 2010, 09:04 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

it looks like I'll be spending out on yet another version of The Evil Dead!

Evil Dead Blu-Ray news

I always though that putting a 5.1 soundtrack on this movie was like putting a quartz wristwatch on a caveman, so I'll be intrigued at this new transfer and lossless sound.
Old 9th July 2010, 12:11 PM
Cult Acolyte

Smile

Sony is soon to be issuing TED on BR on British retail shelves but there's no mention of this release having a full frame transfer. Just the controversial 1.85:1 widescreen print which i don't particurlarly approve of. Of course, yours truly being such a big fan of the film i'll probably end up buying both BR editions.

I only hope Raimi reinstates the infamous lightning strike shot this time around!
Old 9th July 2010, 12:14 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 View Post
I only hope Raimi reinstates the infamous lightning strike shot this time around!

We can only hope. That reminds me, I recall seeing Blade Runner when it was first released on VHS rental. It was cropped and couldn't work out a sound effect at the beginning. It wasn't until years later when a Pan and Scan version was on the telly that I saw it was a lightning strike

Like this? Share it using the links below!