Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1980's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th October 2010, 05:58 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Not long bought the AWE 2 disc dvd, but I will definitely upgrade to the Blu when it comes out. I've got a multi region Blu-Ray player so the region lock isn't an issue.

You make it easy.
Old 15th October 2010, 06:38 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Its region free according to BU themselves but the 2nd disc is a region 1 DVD.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 15th October 2010, 06:55 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
Its region free according to BU themselves but the 2nd disc is a region 1 DVD.
Good to know, as that's me not picking this one up then, as I'm not collecting R1s- at least not if I can "avoid" them.
Old 15th October 2010, 07:09 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Neal View Post
Good to know, as that's me not picking this one up then, as I'm not collecting R1s- at least not if I can "avoid" them.
any reason for that??
I have quite a few R1 dvds. So I dont mind.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 15th October 2010, 07:44 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Just a personal thing, no judgement whatsoever on the quality of R1s
I had to find a way to "restrict" my film-collecting-habits a bit as I can't really spent it all on movies- no matter how mouth-watering they might look to me.
And as watching the very first release at hand worldwide isn't my biggest thing any more, skipping R1s isn't usually a great loss - hell, I hardly manage to keep up with everything of interest put out over here!
In the end, I also prefer to support genre releasing companies in the EU- but for those cases where the R1 is "the only way to go", I take the plunge
Old 16th October 2010, 03:25 PM
Cult Acolyte

Fair enough.
Doubt you will see a Blu of Maniac in the UK though.
it still not been re-submitted for a uncut dvd release over here.

Anyone seen the screencaps?
Its kinda off-putting...I may go for the dvd instead,

Hi-Def Reviews - Horror Digital

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 16th October 2010, 03:28 PM
Cultist

Thats the way i've been going with films, can't get em all so have to water down what i decide to buy, and with such great UK companies such as Arrow & Shameless turning out some cracking releases i too have decided to give r1 releases a miss, however any good blu-ray titles unlocked from the states like the Blue underground titles i will purchase on the strength that they are not getting a current U.K release, i buy Arrow & Shameless titles & have also recently started picking up Another World Entertainment releases on dvd as they seem to be putting out some good stuff, there latest one being ZOMBIE, NIGHTS OF TERROR which i will also be purchasing unless Arrow or Shameless decide to start releasing more of these italian zombie gut munchers as they are in dire need of some decent U.K attention & not the so so releases some of them have had in the past, so while i have become more picky in my purchasing habits i am still buying the titles (mainly from UK) that are worthy of obtaining
Old 16th October 2010, 04:14 PM
Seasoned Cultist

After the aweseome transfer of VIGILANTE I was expecting something similar for MANIAC ... but apparently, either the source material is crappy or Lustig himself should have taken better care of his movie - the screenshots look downright awful!

Well, I don't own any version of the movie right now and haven't seen it yet which is why I'll stick with the Blu. If I had one DVD edition already, I would have cancelled this.
Old 16th October 2010, 04:31 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Still a neat gift to the German fans of the film to include the German audio on the BU discs- as "Maniac" was the very first movie which got banned over there on vhs
R2-wise, the AWE 2-discer seems to be currently the best option to take, certainly my favourite of the 3 "Maniac" DVDs in my collection.
Those who're not exactly obsessed with the film are also "not-too-badly" served with the ABUK DVD (if they find it cheaply), with the infamous Savini gore pretty much intact and only some snippets of"sexual violence" missing.
As "Maniac" is one of those titles I could pick up time and again, I'm almost thankful that the "R1-lock" on the extras of the DVD provides me with the perfect reason to skip at least this edition.
Old 16th October 2010, 06:42 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Neal View Post
Still a neat gift to the German fans of the film to include the German audio on the BU discs- as "Maniac" was the very first movie which got banned over there on vhs
R2-wise, the AWE 2-discer seems to be currently the best option to take, certainly my favourite of the 3 "Maniac" DVDs in my collection.
Those who're not exactly obsessed with the film are also "not-too-badly" served with the ABUK DVD (if they find it cheaply), with the infamous Savini gore pretty much intact and only some snippets of"sexual violence" missing.
As "Maniac" is one of those titles I could pick up time and again, I'm almost thankful that the "R1-lock" on the extras of the DVD provides me with the perfect reason to skip at least this edition.
importing AWE discs can be as expensive as the US blu.
Like the Blu is like £2 more then the new DVD version out.
Im paying £15 for the blu inc shipping, while AWE releases have been around £18 although I not checked Manaic. If its cheaper then the Blu then someone let me know

My DVD Collection
Tumblr

Like this? Share it using the links below!