Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1980's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree109Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th July 2011, 12:50 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

If he could make a screencap/pic of those end credits?

Btw found this:
"the Dutch VHS shows evidence that the film was shot in 1.85:1 (the end credits are letterboxed at this ratio)."
Nightmares in a Damaged Brain

So that should be 1.85:1,not 2.35:1 then?

Btw there is a version in this ratio on the disc as well...even a 1.78:1 I think?

I've been reading up on this and supposedly at the av maniacs forum someone stated that the 1.85:1 and 1.78:1 versions on the CR disc show more info on the bottom in a scene than the 1.33:1

I would quote him but the forum is down at the moment.

Remembering that all these versions used different sources,they may well differ a bit.

The version on disc 2 should show the most info according to the poster (there's a scene with full frontal female nudity to make a good comparison).
Jonny likes this.

Last edited by bdc; 11th July 2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 11th July 2011, 01:02 PM
Cult Acolyte

My copy of Nightmare popped through the letterbox this morning.CR have offered up a very nice package by the looks of it, looking forward to checking out the contents of the discs.I loved that write up on the back cover too!
bdc likes this.
Old 11th July 2011, 02:32 PM
Cultist

Mine arrived today too

I will probably watch this and The Beyond together as a "sit-in" double feature.
bdc likes this.
Old 11th July 2011, 04:27 PM
Cult Addict

As i said, i'll have a word, honestly he's more familiar with the film than me. previous to the box of the banned I had to make do with dodgy bootlegs, i've been trying to talk him into joining these forums for a while. He subscribes to the arrow newsletter and is probably a much bigger genre fan than me.

Either way, watched it again this morning with the commentary, this is one thats growing on me...
Old 11th July 2011, 04:30 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

That's disc 2 btw not disc 3...
Old 11th July 2011, 06:14 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
shame really, still looks 'iffy' but better than the anchor bay disc. Colors are better and image detail is much better, shame about the print damage.

My mate is raging on at me over the phone... apparently its in the wrong aspect ratio.
What Anchor Bay disc?
Old 11th July 2011, 06:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by springjack View Post
What Anchor Bay disc?
Anchor Bay UK included it in their BOX OF THE BANNED.
Old 11th July 2011, 06:56 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I suppose that was just the Hard Gore disc?
Btw that one's supposed to be unlicensed.
Old 11th July 2011, 07:08 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Now that av maniacs forum is back online:

"Odd tidbit about the transfers...I noticed a little more image on the bottom of the 16:9 transfer on the first disc, notably in the peepshow scene. Whereas the 4:3 version only shows the girl with the vibrator above the crotch-line, this widescreen version lowers the frame a bit and shows her pubic hair. The 16:9 transfer on the second disc (from the "slightly better print") takes it even further and shows labia. Weird that an open-matte transfer would be missing this information. The 4:3 version is also interlaced." VinceP

"Vince, or someone receiving a copy early, should compare the main effects "body chopping" climax sequences on the 4:3 versus the 16:9 as, ages ago, when CR stated they were intending to issue a single 4:3 version alone, one reason they cited for not doing it 16:9 was that the matting cropping compromised key and integral imagery during this gore scene. Anyway, maybe someone could look, maybe even post some screen cap comparisons?" Ethan Christian Seiler

"Thumbs up to the 16:9 transfers! The 4:3 is entirely a different transfer, so the first 16:9 isn't just a crop/zoom job. Better detail and colors too, IMO." Ben Gart

"Okay, just checked the scene in question on all three transfers, and they are the same. And the effects were not compromised on the 16:9 versions, in fact, they looked just fine." VinceP

Hope this has been helpful.
Old 11th July 2011, 07:17 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
I suppose that was just the Hard Gore disc?
Btw that one's supposed to be unlicensed.
correct

My DVD Collection
Tumblr

Like this? Share it using the links below!