Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1980's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th February 2011, 01:11 PM
Cult Rookie

Default Docteur Jekyll et les femmes (1981)

Has anyone at Cult Labs seen this movie? If so what did you think of it and where did you find it?

Docteur Jekyll et les femmes (a.k.a. Dr. Jekyll and His Wives) is a film that I have wanted to see for while, but unfortunately it has never made its way onto DVD in this country, or even in the USA as far as I’m aware. There was a VHS version available back in the 90’s (titled The Bloodbath of Dr Jekyll) but apparently it had a walloping 26 minutes cut out of it. A DVD release is long overdue in my opinion, and should it get a release, then hopefully it’s the full uncut version that we get.

Docteur Jekyll et les femmes was made in France in 1981, and stars Udo Kier, Patrick Magee, Howard Vernon, and Marina Pierro. Walerian Borowczyk was the director of the movie.
Old 10th February 2011, 02:55 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

It's a great film - but I am a confirmed Borowczyk fanboy. He's one of my favourite directors in the whole history of cinema.

I used to have a copy of the old VHS release and currently have a DVD-R of a download which is considerably longer but I am not sure as to the precise status of it.

It's a film badly served by home releases around the world and is one that deserves a restoration for sure.

Personally, I would prefer to see other Borowcyk films released first, but Dr Jekyll And The Women does need a release.
Old 8th March 2011, 08:14 PM
Cultist in Training

I would love to see a DVD or BD of this film too!
Old 8th March 2011, 10:45 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Sorry to be a party pooper (again) but this is yet another film that's apparently tied up in a tangle of rights issues.
Old 9th March 2011, 10:41 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Gaz View Post
Has anyone at Cult Labs seen this movie? If so what did you think of it and where did you find it?

There was a VHS version available back in the 90’s (titled The Bloodbath of Dr Jekyll) but apparently it had a walloping 26 minutes cut out of it.

There was also an early '80s release in the UK on the VTC label. It is also cut, but I don't think by 26 mins!
Old 9th March 2011, 01:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Default finally some other souls...

isnt this the reason we love udo kier? i have a print of this which has miniscule "hardcore" content, from a firm that i wont mention, so cant see a complete UK version any time soon...
Old 19th August 2017, 07:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Little did we know eh?
Now as I sit fondling my loverly combo release, I wonder if Bloodbath ... is still in the house somewhere???

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!