Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1980's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=553)
-   -   Your Favourite Horror Film from 1985 (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1980s/5302-your-favourite-horror-film-1985-a.html)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 14th April 2011 07:05 PM

Your Favourite Horror Film from 1985

3 Attachment(s)
1985 was a year for some brilliant horror films, but which one is your favourite? What makes it special to you? When did you first see it? Would you recommend it to the uninitiated?

Sometimes it's a hard decision to just pick one film (even when you're limiting it to a single year!), but my favourite film of 1985 is...

Demons - Lamberto Bava

Bava Jr's manic tale of demon possession just beats Romero's Day of the Dead to the top spot as my favourite film of 1985. Demons is a fantastically fun film filled with ott make-up effects and gore and even stunts and set-pieces (a helicopter in a cinema?!)

Trailer:

Runners Up:
Day of the Dead
Fright Night
Lifeforce
Mansion of the Living Dead
Phenomena
Re-animator
The Return of the Living Dead
The Stuff

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th April 2011 07:07 PM

Nooo, its too soon, wait another week - pretty please.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 14th April 2011 10:04 PM

Despite the choice, there is really only one winner for me: Day of the Dead. It may be my least favourite of Romero's original zombie trilogy (a gap that is narrowing all the time), but the performances, politically charged script, remarkably claustrophobic direction and career-best SFX make-up work by Tom Savini make this my favourite of the year.

Vampix 15th April 2011 03:01 AM

I've got three faves from 1985 and they're all truly excellent imo.Day of the Dead, Re-Animator and Return of the Living Dead.What a great year 1985 was for horror fans. :nod:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 15th April 2011 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 143102)
Nooo, its too soon, wait another week - pretty please.

:lol: :heh:

Don't worry, I've broken into the 1980s gently by only posting '80-'85... for now!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 15th April 2011 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 143166)
Despite the choice, there is really only one winner for me: Day of the Dead. It may be my least favourite of Romero's original zombie trilogy (a gap that is narrowing all the time), but the performances, politically charged script, remarkably claustrophobic direction and career-best SFX make-up work by Tom Savini make this my favourite of the year.

I knew Day would probably be the most popular choice, and even though I chose Demons (probably a slightly controversial choice!), it is indeed a superb film. It only gets better on repeat viewings, in my opinion, and when considering Romero's original trilogy, I actually prefer it over Dawn. Night remains my favourite, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 143182)
I've got three faves from 1985 and they're all truly excellent imo.Day of the Dead, Re-Animator and Return of the Living Dead.What a great year 1985 was for horror fans. :nod:

1985 was indeed a very good year for horror, and I have to agree with you Vampix on the above zombie threesome being amongst the very best of the year. :nod:

Jani 15th April 2011 07:32 AM

The year of the zombie...And the personal fave is...damn.There's at least three of them! Day of the Dead,The Return of the Living Dead and Re-Animator,all classics and I never grow tired of them.Let's pick one anyway: Re-Animator,but only heads ahead.Stuart Gordon,respect!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th April 2011 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 143192)
I knew Day would probably be the most popular choice, and even though I chose Demons (probably a slightly controversial choice!), it is indeed a superb film. It only gets better on repeat viewings, in my opinion, and when considering Romero's original trilogy, I actually prefer it over Dawn. Night remains my favourite, though.

My order of preference would go Dawn, Night, Day, but Night and Day are becoming almost neck and neck!

I suppose I went for Romero's film because I was looking for horror films rather than horror-comedies so, much as I love Re-Animator and Return of the Living Dead, I'd prefer to go for something a little more downbeat and with plenty of gut munching!

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th April 2011 06:01 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Many have named the obvious choices, so i thought i would go a little left field -

Ken Russell's Crimes of Passion

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th April 2011 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 143338)
Many have named the obvious choices, so i thought i would go a little left field -

Ken Russell's Crimes of Passion

Is that generally regarded as a horror movie? I always considered it to be a romantic drama that turns into a thriller as the film goes on.