Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1980's

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th April 2011, 07:05 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Question Your Favourite Horror Film from 1985

1985 was a year for some brilliant horror films, but which one is your favourite? What makes it special to you? When did you first see it? Would you recommend it to the uninitiated?

Sometimes it's a hard decision to just pick one film (even when you're limiting it to a single year!), but my favourite film of 1985 is...

Demons - Lamberto Bava

Bava Jr's manic tale of demon possession just beats Romero's Day of the Dead to the top spot as my favourite film of 1985. Demons is a fantastically fun film filled with ott make-up effects and gore and even stunts and set-pieces (a helicopter in a cinema?!)

Trailer:

Runners Up:
Day of the Dead
Fright Night
Lifeforce
Mansion of the Living Dead
Phenomena
Re-animator
The Return of the Living Dead
The Stuff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg demons-movie-poster1.jpg (53.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg demons11b.jpg (36.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg demons.jpg (17.6 KB, 2 views)
dis likes this.
Old 14th April 2011, 07:07 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Nooo, its too soon, wait another week - pretty please.
Old 14th April 2011, 10:04 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Despite the choice, there is really only one winner for me: Day of the Dead. It may be my least favourite of Romero's original zombie trilogy (a gap that is narrowing all the time), but the performances, politically charged script, remarkably claustrophobic direction and career-best SFX make-up work by Tom Savini make this my favourite of the year.
Old 15th April 2011, 03:01 AM
Cult Acolyte

I've got three faves from 1985 and they're all truly excellent imo.Day of the Dead, Re-Animator and Return of the Living Dead.What a great year 1985 was for horror fans.
Old 15th April 2011, 06:55 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Nooo, its too soon, wait another week - pretty please.

Don't worry, I've broken into the 1980s gently by only posting '80-'85... for now!
Old 15th April 2011, 07:01 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Despite the choice, there is really only one winner for me: Day of the Dead. It may be my least favourite of Romero's original zombie trilogy (a gap that is narrowing all the time), but the performances, politically charged script, remarkably claustrophobic direction and career-best SFX make-up work by Tom Savini make this my favourite of the year.
I knew Day would probably be the most popular choice, and even though I chose Demons (probably a slightly controversial choice!), it is indeed a superb film. It only gets better on repeat viewings, in my opinion, and when considering Romero's original trilogy, I actually prefer it over Dawn. Night remains my favourite, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampix View Post
I've got three faves from 1985 and they're all truly excellent imo.Day of the Dead, Re-Animator and Return of the Living Dead.What a great year 1985 was for horror fans.
1985 was indeed a very good year for horror, and I have to agree with you Vampix on the above zombie threesome being amongst the very best of the year.
Old 15th April 2011, 07:32 AM
Active Cultist

The year of the zombie...And the personal fave is...damn.There's at least three of them! Day of the Dead,The Return of the Living Dead and Re-Animator,all classics and I never grow tired of them.Let's pick one anyway: Re-Animator,but only heads ahead.Stuart Gordon,respect!
blu likes this.
Old 15th April 2011, 07:39 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I knew Day would probably be the most popular choice, and even though I chose Demons (probably a slightly controversial choice!), it is indeed a superb film. It only gets better on repeat viewings, in my opinion, and when considering Romero's original trilogy, I actually prefer it over Dawn. Night remains my favourite, though.
My order of preference would go Dawn, Night, Day, but Night and Day are becoming almost neck and neck!

I suppose I went for Romero's film because I was looking for horror films rather than horror-comedies so, much as I love Re-Animator and Return of the Living Dead, I'd prefer to go for something a little more downbeat and with plenty of gut munching!
Old 15th April 2011, 06:01 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Many have named the obvious choices, so i thought i would go a little left field -

Ken Russell's Crimes of Passion
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imagesCA8JOVY8.jpg (8.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg imagesCAOX3OBU.jpg (6.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg imagesCA2B57U7.jpg (3.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 15th April 2011, 06:23 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Many have named the obvious choices, so i thought i would go a little left field -

Ken Russell's Crimes of Passion
Is that generally regarded as a horror movie? I always considered it to be a romantic drama that turns into a thriller as the film goes on.

Like this? Share it using the links below!