Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1980's

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd April 2011, 09:22 PM
Cultist

For me, it is Night of the Creeps, all the way!!
Beyond72 likes this.
Old 24th April 2011, 06:41 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
For me, it is Night of the Creeps, all the way!!
totally agree, love The Fly though.
Old 10th May 2011, 08:19 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

For me,MANHUNTER takes a bit of beating,and I can't wait to see this on Blu Ray!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 10th May 2011, 09:48 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs View Post
For me,MANHUNTER takes a bit of beating,and I can't wait to see this on Blu Ray!
Very true -- it may well be the best Hannibal Lecter (or Lecktor) film ever made, and that includes The Silence of the Lambs.
Old 10th May 2011, 09:52 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Very true -- it may well be the best Hannibal Lecter (or Lecktor) film ever made, and that includes The Silence of the Lambs.
Only ever seen it once.

Brian Cox is a terrific actor though. Have you seen Red? A star turn from Brian in that one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51E2-yawX+L__SL500_AA300_.jpg (22.3 KB, 1 views)
Old 10th May 2011, 09:54 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Definitely, far superior to the poor and more knowing (iconic face mask? Check! Nudge-nudge-wink-wink Clarice Starling reference at the end? Check!) Red Dragon.

I'd probably go for The Fly or Little Shop of Horrors, although I acknowledge that the latter isn't really a horror as such (although surprisingly grim at times for a PG film, although not as grim as the superb alternate ending). I used ot love it as a kid and was strangely obsessed with a casette I had of the musical recording.
Old 10th May 2011, 10:09 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Ooh,don't know about that Nos.....I had the pleasure of seeing Silence when it was on the big screen......One of my favourites.
A film I never tire of watching.

You'd never know MANHUNTER and SILENCE were both based on the same book,would you?

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 10th May 2011, 10:11 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
You'd never know MANHUNTER and SILENCE were both based on the same book,would you?
Is that largely to do with the fact that they weren't?
Old 11th May 2011, 07:43 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Only ever seen it once.

Brian Cox is a terrific actor though. Have you seen Red? A star turn from Brian in that one.
I enjoyed Red as it was fairly obvious Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, Helen Mirren and John Malkovich (who chews the scenery throughout) were having a blast on set and when you have Brian Cox -- with a decent Russian accent -- and Richard Dreyfus in supporting roles acting as well as they did, that just about makes the film. Also, Mary-Louise Parker was really good as the long-suffering love interest. It's not a great film, but it's extremely watchable.
Quote:
Ooh,don't know about that Nos.....I had the pleasure of seeing Silence when it was on the big screen......One of my favourites.
A film I never tire of watching.

Although Manhunter features a better Lecter/Lecktor, who isn't as camp as the Anthony Hopkins one, I agree The Silence of the Lambs is possibly superior because Jonathan Demme's direction is brilliant.

If you just look at adaptations of the book Red Dragon, Manhunter is head and shoulders above the piece of nonsense that Brett Ratner made years later despite the likes of Philip Seymour Hoffman, Anthony Hopkins, Harvey Keitel, Ed Norton, Mary-Louise Parker and Emily Mortimer in the cast. What a waste of A-List actors.
Old 11th May 2011, 10:20 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I enjoyed Red as it was fairly obvious Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, Helen Mirren and John Malkovich (who chews the scenery throughout) were having a blast on set and when you have Brian Cox -- with a decent Russian accent -- and Richard Dreyfus in supporting roles acting as well as they did, that just about makes the film. Also, Mary-Louise Parker was really good as the long-suffering love interest. It's not a great film, but it's extremely watchable.

I forgot he was in THAT Red also.

The artwork i posted is from a film in which Cox plays a widower who lives alone with his beloved dog. Said dog is then brutally killed by some youths whilst on a fishing trip. Cox then sets out to get the youths and their father, played by Tom Sizemore to apologize for their actions.

Its not a Brian Cox is Dolph Lundgren, revenge flick. I found it quite moving in places, and found myself with grit in my eye at times.

Like this? Share it using the links below!