Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1980's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=553)
-   -   Your Favourite Horror Film from 1989 (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1980s/5335-your-favourite-horror-film-1989-a.html)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 17th April 2011 08:05 PM

Your Favourite Horror Film from 1989

3 Attachment(s)
1989 was a year for some brilliant horror films, but which one is your favourite? What makes it special to you? When did you first see it? Would you recommend it to the uninitiated?

Sometimes it's a hard decision to just pick one film (even when you're limiting it to a single year!), but my favourite film of 1989 is...

Santa Sangre - Alejandro Jodorowsky

The macabre and the pure weird join to create one of the best films of the '80s. The mother-son relationship is taken to a whole new level in Jodorowsky's dark, violent, and beautiful film, which is certainly bizarre, and definitely not for everyone, but Santa Sangre is my choice for 1989.

Trailer:

Runners Up:
The Church
The Dead Pit
Intruder
Leviathan
Nightmare Beach - Pure cheesy fun
Pet Sematary
Society
Tetsuo

Demoncrat 18th April 2011 11:35 AM

its a real hoot is SS...Leviathan i just laughed through though.. so its got to be The Iron Man for me.

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th April 2011 02:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Society is great, as is The Church.

Shamed to say i have never seen Pet Semetary or Santa Sangre.

1989 imo was a poor year for our beloved horrors.

My choice is I Madman

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 18th April 2011 04:25 PM

I've never seen I, Madman - will have to check it out.

You really need to see Santa Sangre, Demdike. It is such a visual treat, plus fantastically bizarre! :happy:

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th April 2011 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 143971)
I've never seen I, Madman - will have to check it out.

You really need to see Santa Sangre, Demdike. It is such a visual treat, plus fantastically bizarre! :happy:

I Madman is under £1, region 1, MGM, at Amazon UK. No UK release.

The pics you posted reminded me of Coffin Joe, i will put it on my "to buy" list.

Which unfortunately gets bigger every bleedin' day.

Jani 19th April 2011 07:57 AM

1989 saw the fall of the horror movie.The Italian gorefactory was seriously sputtering and Americans were all about Jason,Freddy and the like.Horror had been productized and it was played safe.MPAA held a tight grip and you could see the awareness on the productions aimed at the teen market.Henry finally got released after much censorshit problems.If we're looking for the more original stuff than say,Jason Takes Manhattan,****,then I'd say my pick is Jodorowsky's Santa Sangre.It's a miracle of a movie,sure-fire 'art' and weird,but if one looks beneath the surface it does have a coherent story,and even based on a real life serial killer.It's one of a kind by a true auteur.Brian Yuzna somewhat succeeded with Society,that's a funny little movie,and Soavi made La Chiesa / The Church with Argento.That could have gone further,but it has some nice visuals and a good concept for a horror movie,me thinks.All in all it's good we got rid of 1989.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 20th April 2011 12:06 PM

I'm a big fan of Society, but watched Santa Sangre last night and thought it was absolutely superb. I need to watch it again and then again with the commentary so, although Society is my favourite at the moment, I can see Santa Sangre taking over.

paranoidbrunette 6th July 2011 10:29 PM

Psycho Cop - it was the inspiration for me to become a filmmaker.

Baseball Fury 2nd August 2011 11:53 AM

An awful, awful year. Pet Sematary maybe? Only because I'm a King fan.

blu 11th August 2011 08:36 PM

^

Agreed. Not a good year for horror. I'll choose Pet Sematary too.