Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1980's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=553)
-   -   RAZORBACK Russell Mulcahy 1984 (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1980s/6596-razorback-russell-mulcahy-1984-a.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 1st September 2011 06:37 PM

RAZORBACK Russell Mulcahy 1984

1 Attachment(s)
Discuss all things Razorback here.:)

antmumford 1st September 2011 06:51 PM

I love Razorback, I bought the Ozploitation box sets from AUS last year and of all the films on both sets Razorback was the one I loved.
The cinematography was beautiful, I really didn't expect it to look so nice for a low budget horror. I've since picked up the standalone ABUK release as it rightly deserves a place in my DVD collection but really it deserves an even better place in my BD collection but I doubt that will happen for a while :pray:

Slippery Jack 1st September 2011 07:11 PM

One of the many titles featured in Not Quite Hollywood that I'm yet to check out. Of them all, Long Weekend is the one that has earned a place in my top 100, love it . . . !

Gojirosan 2nd September 2011 01:08 AM

Never liked this film. I keep meaning to give it another go, but Russell Mulcahy does not tend to agree with me!

mark meakin 2nd September 2011 07:30 AM

I love the film & thought it was one of the most visually stunning horror films of the 80s.I have the aussie disc with the trimmed gore included as an extra not that it's that strong.Bill Kerr in particular was very good in the film.The Long Weekend,Picnic At Hanging Rock & Summerfield are all well worth picking up.

BioZombie 2nd September 2011 09:35 AM

I think this film may be in the running for the title of most stunning cinematography in an exploitation film. Mad Max II is also in the running for this, but I think Razorback just about beats it.

If my film collection wasnt packed in boxes ready to move to a new home I'd post some pics to prove my point.

wayfarer 2nd September 2011 10:15 AM

Mad Max 2 is my favourite all time movie, so Razorback doesn't quite come close. That said, it's a stunningly shot movie and I can see why Cannon (sic) chose Mulcahy to direct Highlander. I did think that his career would rise similarly to how Sam Raimi's career shot off, but Mulcahy's career didn't hit the stratosphere:rolleyes:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 2nd September 2011 11:58 AM

Despite some shortcomings, I really like Razorback and just about every film with a killer pig! It's beautifully shot by Russell Mulcahy and really has the same music video aesthetic with plenty of backlighting and wind blowing through the sets -- the death scenes are also extremely good.

antmumford 2nd September 2011 12:15 PM

I totally agree with you all that it has the best cinematography in an exploitation film, this is the main reason why it deserves the Blu-ray treatment to really show it off. A perfect candidate for an upcoming Arrow Video Blu-ray I think (along with Castle Freak) but I've already whinged enough about that on another post

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 2nd September 2011 12:26 PM

I imagine Mulcahy will always be up for a commentary or lengthy interview and, depending on how easy it would be to secure new extra features and an HD master at a reasonable price would probably determine whether there'd be a Blu-ray release.

If there was one, I'd definitely upgrade.