Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1980's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=553)
-   -   Effects (1980) (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1980s/7307-effects-1980-a.html)

necroluciferia 5th December 2011 02:37 PM

Effects (1980)

Starring Tom Savini and Joe Pilato.

Watched it over the weekend, I found it pretty disappointing.

Effects (1980) - IMDb

Anyone else seen it?

Hammer time 5th December 2011 05:20 PM

I thought it was boring,nothing happens,lots of dull dialogue,Emanuelle in America and Last house on dead end street cover the same subject and are more enjoyable imo.

Daemonia 6th December 2011 01:32 AM

Well, I'll go against the grain and say that I think it's an incredible film, one of my all time favourites. As with just about everyone, I caught up with it via the Synapse release and it blew me away.

It starts out as a kind of film within a film, almost like a 'behind-the-scenes' featurette. We see the characters and their relationships and it appears like a bunch of buddies just getting together, having a good time, and making a low budget movie. But midway through, things take a menacing turn when the director projects a snuff film. It kind of throws you a bit, as it's quite unexpected, and leaves you wondering where things are leading - and some of the crew also begin to wonder what's going on. Suspicions are raised, tensions amongst the crew heighten, and it all leads to a suitably grim and downbeat ending.

It's not for everyone, but I abolsutely loved it.

demonknight 15th March 2012 06:47 PM

effects

It's not a bad movie but not a classic either. I enjoy the accompanying
doc aftereffects which not only covers the movie but filmmaking in general
in Pittsburgh in the 70's. Nice doc which features romero
savini harrison buba and captain rhodes himself Joe pilato. Synapse
did a fine job with this one. Decent picture and sound for a movie that's
not bad and has a decent and informative doc.

Pete 17th March 2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 201950)
Well, I'll go against the grain and say that I think it's an incredible film, one of my all time favourites. As with just about everyone, I caught up with it via the Synapse release and it blew me away.

It starts out as a kind of film within a film, almost like a 'behind-the-scenes' featurette. We see the characters and their relationships and it appears like a bunch of buddies just getting together, having a good time, and making a low budget movie. But midway through, things take a menacing turn when the director projects a snuff film. It kind of throws you a bit, as it's quite unexpected, and leaves you wondering where things are leading - and some of the crew also begin to wonder what's going on. Suspicions are raised, tensions amongst the crew heighten, and it all leads to a suitably grim and downbeat ending.

It's not for everyone, but I abolsutely loved it.

What Dae said :nod:

Grape Ape 9th April 2012 03:36 AM

I would also like to voice support for this little gem of a film. It stays with you long after you view it. It has that most desirable of features, atmosphere.