Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1980's

Poll: BEST JASON?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
BEST JASON?

Like Tree347Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st October 2008, 08:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper72 View Post
Just finished watching Part 2-it looks trimmed-the jump cuts ain't very good-take it this is cut?
This should be the "quality" kind of cuts to rival Paramount's butcher job for "My Bloody Valentine". The MPAA thought that the original got off lightly, so they took it out on Part 2. ad, really, as the cut Carl Fullerton FX stills look great...
Old 21st October 2008, 08:30 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel View Post
Reaps - I haven't seen the UK DVDs of P3 & 4 but the BBFC did waive the cuts to these so they should be uncut, although I don't know if the MPAA cuts have been restored.

P2 is still cut and probably always will be.
Thanks Angel,thought it was....

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 21st October 2008, 11:42 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I liked part 1 , but to be honest im not really a fan of the franchise .
Old 22nd October 2008, 10:45 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Part 6 for me - as this seems to me to be everything a horror movie should be. Graveyards, a resurrected monster, a teenager no-one believes and some inventive kills. It's a winner with me from start-to-finish, the best in the entire series IMO.
Old 22nd October 2008, 11:15 AM
Ex-member

the uk dvds from paramount are all the R rated versions .I like part 4 the most but the 1st 4 and 6,7 are all fun to watch,i hated part 5 when i 1st saw it but i bought part 5 version 2 and that was ok so ill have to watch the release version again
Old 22nd October 2008, 03:29 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud View Post
Hey enough of that I love part V and it was my favourite growing up. It has its faults but it's the most fun of the lot I reckon. If only it had Jason and some more gore then it would have been a classic imo. Compared to part VI it was a masterpiece.

Then again, maybe I'm being too biased .
I think V would be a lot better if they hadn't cut out most of the gore from it. It's got a huge body count, but was really badly censored.

I'm not sure if there's a complete uncut workprint of it in existence?

It's sad that these films are still heavily edited even now.
Old 22nd October 2008, 05:49 PM
Cultist

I would have voted for Friday 13th (the first film) but it's not really Jason's film, it's his mother's, so I've gone for Part 2. I really like Part 2 as there are lots of great scenes and Jason wasn't the super human being he becomes in the other films (which I really like as they're all fun).
Old 23rd October 2008, 12:22 PM
Cultist

I voted for the first. The sequels are generally good fun but the first is actually a pretty decent movie. I managed to see it on the big screen this year, at the Prince Charles Cinema where the print was scratched to ****, had an X-Rating attached and had fuzzy sound; one of the best cinema experiences of the year.

I saw the trailer for the remake yesterday. I'm pretty open minded about remakes and trailers in general (a bad trailer doesn't always mean a bad film). Anyway, I have to see that I think it looks a) like a remake of F13 part 2, and b) like a terrible movie.
Old 23rd October 2008, 07:31 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
Part 6 for me - as this seems to me to be everything a horror movie should be. Graveyards, a resurrected monster, a teenager no-one believes and some inventive kills. It's a winner with me from start-to-finish, the best in the entire series IMO.
Great the way they revived Jason in this one-a nod to Frankenstein you think?

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 30th October 2008, 10:46 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

The Final Chapter is easily the best & I'm surprised this one got away with as much as it did considering how hard the MPAA came down on the films after the first.Jason's 'Demise' cut on video here (restored to dvd) was pretty impressive & I think the film benefited from Joseph Zito's direction as he had proved a fairly capable slasher director with Rosemarys Killer.
The first I find very overrated,though it is quite atmospheric with a good scare at the climax.
I'd considered the second film a far better one than the first & also very atmospheric,though the MPAA cuts were damaging.As many have rightly pointed out it steals heavily from Bava's Bay Of Blood (The spear killing & the machete in face)
Part 3 is pretty routine despite the same director,though I suppose the 3D version is a bit more entertaining.This film Reaps restores a few snippets of BBFC cuts.A shot of a halved corpse,a snippet to the harpoon in eye sequence & a knife emerging from a woman's chest after blood drips on her from the cut in half body mentioned already.
Part 5 was very watchable,but the MPAA cuts listed in a fangoria magazine were very heavy.(I think many deaths were altered at the script stage though, including a machete beween one victims legs)
Part 6 was great fun with a nice Bond parody opening & technically I'd say it's the best made & funniest (intentionally)
Part 7 blew it big time(though Jason looked nasty),as it was very dull though the MPAA cuts certainly did not help.
Part 8 also suffered MPAA cuts notably to the killing of a boxer with darts through both eyes (shown as a still in Fangoria)It was a nice idea to move the action from Crystal Lake but then they were unsure what to really do with Jason.The mk-up effects work is particularly lousy including a really poor severed head
Part 9 in its 'R' cut is pretty unwatchable and the film turns into a rip-off of The Hidden more than a slasher film
Part 10 was OK and had some nice touches but I'm not keen at all on Freddy Vs Jason.

Like this? Share it using the links below!