Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1980's

Poll: BEST JASON?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
BEST JASON?

Like Tree347Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th January 2018, 03:41 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Jason X grows a little bit more on me each time I see it. I hated it after my first viewing, but now I don’t mind it too much. I might even think it’s pretty good someday. And you have to be stark raving bonkers to think it's worse than Jason Goes to Hell; that’s one I’ll never change my mind about - **** that piece of shit! Jason Lives is another one I’m warmer to now. The New Blood is a guilty pleasure for me; I know much of it is awful, but I just can’t help myself sometimes. But it’s the first four I’m really a fan of, especially Part 2 and The Final Chapter - two of the best slashers of the early '80s.

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 5th January 2018, 12:23 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Ordered a German Jason Goes To Hell/Jason X Warner double feature blu-ray from Italian Amazon. Weirdly that was by far the cheapest way of obtaining a high definition copy of Jason X. Was just over 18 pounds including shipping in case anyone is interested.

That it also comes with Jason Goes To Hell isn't much of a bonus as I think that's clearly the worst of the 12 franchise films to date. Even viewing the unrated cut (the blu-ray version is R rated) doesn't help much. btw Does anyone actually like that film??

Once I receive this blu-ray, I will own HD copies of all the Friday the 13th franchise films that I personally like (those are the original, 2, 4, 6, 10 and FvJ).
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 5th January 2018, 01:02 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Should also confess that I do rather like part 3 when viewed in anaglyph 3D (My Canadian part 4 blu-ray also came with part 3 and 3D glasses). btw Have tried out quite a few anaglyph 3D releases and Friday the 13th 3D is the only one which works properly!
Old 5th January 2018, 09:26 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

As the American/Canadian blurays are all out of print and sell for more than they're worth on eBay and Amazon marketplace, it might be noting that the first 8 films are being re-released in a budget box set in the US, $27.65 currently. Comes out on 14th Feb.

It's a shame it's not all 10 films like the original set (long OOP) but the first 8 is better than none.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 5th January 2018, 01:54 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
As the American/Canadian blurays are all out of print and sell for more than they're worth on eBay and Amazon marketplace, it might be noting that the first 8 films are being re-released in a budget box set in the US, $27.65 currently. Comes out on 14th Feb.

It's a shame it's not all 10 films like the original set (long OOP) but the first 8 is better than none.
That's a steal at that price.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 5th January 2018, 02:36 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

My reviews of the original and three of the sequels... almost three years old... Oh blimey, how time flies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
Friday the 13th (1980) * *
Watching the film 35 years later, one can only wonder why this totally unexceptional Slasher flick was a box office hit back in the day. Apart from pretty convincing special effects by Tom Savini and a highly effective Harry Manfredini score, the film has not very much to offer. It’s definitely not the worst example of its genre, but due to its bland ‘final girl’ (A.King) and dragging direction this Cunningham ‘classic’ is only mildly entertaining.

Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981) * * ½
Once more, Alice (A.King) is part of this sequel’s cast. Luckily, this time she’s not the final but the first girl (to get killed). For those who fell asleep, the first film’s ending is shown again. Although it’s not very inventive (the spear murder can be found in Bava’s brilliant '71 A Bay of Blood) and still pretty much a formulaic Slasher, this second part of the franchise is slightly more entertaining than its predecessor and has a much better pace. The ending is a real let-down, though.

Friday the 13th Part III (1982) * * ½
Slightly better than Part II, this third tale of the Voorhees saga was originally shot in 3D – and you can tell that a mile off. There’s a myriad of tools, weapons, and toys which are meant to look like they’re coming out of the screen. Maybe this was pretty neat in the few cinemas showing a 3D print of this flick back in the 80s. Today, however, all this gimmickry is a bit annoying. Other than that, Part III is pretty entertaining, and Richard Brooker is my hands down favourite Jason - his body language is awesome. A well-directed Slasher (with pretty good cinematography), and the only one of the original four parts to feature lots of slick third-person view shots of Jason. Recommended (with reservations).

Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984) * *
This fourth part mainly suffers from a slightly muddled plot. To make matters worse, all the boring ‘make out’ scenes almost turn this into a failed Teen Sex Comedy. Corey Feldman’s performance as Tommy Jarvis is impressive, though, and the ending is violent and intense. Pretty good special effects by Tom Savini, and the highest body count of the original four Fridays – thirteen in total.
Old 5th January 2018, 03:43 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
That's a steal at that price.
I've got the pre-order in, with the postage/VAT it comes to about £30.00
SymbioticFunction likes this.

Old 5th January 2018, 04:21 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I've got the pre-order in, with the postage/VAT it comes to about £30.00
I wonder if part 3 will still have a choice of 2D or anaglyph 3D viewing? If it does, I expect that anaglyph glasses will also be provided.
Old 5th January 2018, 04:29 PM
Cult Veteran

It seems like it’s the first 6 discs from the old set so I imagine so. I hope it comes with glasses but they are easy to come by
SymbioticFunction likes this.

Old 5th January 2018, 04:38 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The anaglyph 3D on part 3's existing US and Canadian blu-rays is excellent. It works really well. Like I said earlier, I tried out other anaglyph 3D blu-rays (Piranha, Coraline, My Bloody Valentine) and I was bitterly disappointed with the effect. Was pitiful in comparison.
Justin101 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!