Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1980's

Like Tree75Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th April 2012, 08:26 AM
Ex-Member

Default THE SHINING 1980 Stanley Kubrick

The Shining has always been a favorite of mine. Anyway a few years ago I watched it for the millionth time on more4. This version had some new scenes I'd never seen before, including the doctors scene with annie jackson.
I read up on this version and Kubrick edited the film down for the europe market. I understand the edited version may be the definitive version but is there anyway to get the version with extra scenes. There is a free region 1 on amazon, but I'm not sure which one it will be. I'd hate to buy the film just to discover its the same version. Or perhaps someone might know if the film is getting released here...
Old 12th April 2012, 08:46 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

All US releases are the 140+ minute version. Everywhere else has the 120 minute version. If its a US disc it's the longer one.

Kubrick himself cut the film to make it more punchy after the film had debuted in the US. In fact, the original US premiere print ran even longer and had a different coda in which hotel manager Ulmann visits Wendy and Danny in hospital but this has never been seen since and is thought to have been destroyed by Kubrick's longtime assistant Leon Vitali upon the director's request, along with outtakes from many other films. Some Polaroids taken from the scene can seen in the colossal Kubrick Archives book from
Teschen.

Bizarrely Warner has never issued the 140+ print outside of the US as per Kubrick's wishes, allegedly. Given the rereleases on DVD and the Blu-ray version have sll been the shorter cut, it's very unlikely it ever will now.

I own both cuts on Blu-ray. The Shining remains my all-time favourite film.
Old 12th April 2012, 08:59 AM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

The 144 minute cut was screened on ITV in the late 80s/early 90s.
Old 12th April 2012, 09:15 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigandya View Post
Thats where i got mine, tis the only version i watch now, as you get more Shining for you to marvel at.....

I'd say my favourite scene is the shift in the power balance during the bathroom sequence with "the caretaker"... and if that's not enough, just looking at those tiles, you can only be watching a Kubrick film....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 12th April 2012, 09:18 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I've also got both cuts on BD, one in the Kubrick box and a standalone region free BD from the States.
Old 12th April 2012, 09:23 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigandya View Post
Correct, Andy. Late November/Early December 1989 to be precise. Don't think It was shown again in that form for years after, if at all.

I taped it when it screened and watched it over and over. I was massively gutted when I bought the sell-thru and discovered huge chunks were missing - I had no idea at the time!
Old 12th April 2012, 11:49 AM
Cult Acolyte

Did anyone hear about the screening recently in America which had the rediscovered cut ending.

The wife and kid (forgive me, haven't seen it in a while) are at a hospital, and police show up to tell them they didn't find Jacks body.

From Wikipedia:
Kubrick cut a scene at the end that took place in a hospital. The scene shows Wendy in a bed talking with Mr. Ullman who explains that Jack's body could not be found; he then gives Danny a yellow tennis ball, presumably the same one that lured Danny into Room 237.
Old 12th April 2012, 02:26 PM
Ex-Member

Stupid questions, but can someone add the amazon link for the states version and is the states one able to play on uk BD players?
Old 12th April 2012, 02:36 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Chad View Post
Stupid questions, but can someone add the amazon link for the states version and is the states one able to play on uk BD players?
check dvdcompare.net
the shining bd is ALL REGION
Old 12th April 2012, 02:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Chad View Post
Here's the Amazon link http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Shining-...4241275&sr=8-3

And according to Planet Axel, its region free https://www.planetaxel.com/product/S...)/085391157106
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Like this? Share it using the links below!