Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1980's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=553)
-   -   The Entity (1982) (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1980s/888-entity-1982-a.html)

jim corrupt 23rd November 2008 03:08 PM

The Entity (1982)

this is a title i keep seeing in hmv, picking up and then putting back.
is it worth a watch?

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 23rd November 2008 03:15 PM

Quite simply: HELL YES!!!!!!!

I absolutly luv that film! It is incredibly suspenseful and really makes you feel and emphasise with the lead characters. Personally I think it is brilliant and horribly under-rated. It is also quite genuinely scary at times (esp. if you believe in the supernatural etc) and has a great story. The score to the film is brilliant and so is the direction (the huge juxtaposition caused when the 'spirit' comes and attacks the woman and her family).

That's what I think anyway.

:D

I'd reccomend it!

jim corrupt 23rd November 2008 03:17 PM

thats me sold then i guess.
supernatural horror generally freaks me out a bit. one not to watch with the mrs im guessing?

Halloween_22 23rd November 2008 03:17 PM

It is indeed. It's based on a true story about a woman who allegedly repeatedly got sexually assaulted by a poltergeist/ evil force and it's a pretty decent film (although a tad over long IMO) Still, it's definately worth a watch and deserves a place in the collection.

Halloween_22 23rd November 2008 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim corrupt (Post 17723)
thats me sold then i guess.
supernatural horror generally freaks me out a bit. one not to watch with the mrs im guessing?

Definately not :D My girlfriend hated it and found it really disturbing.

jim corrupt 23rd November 2008 03:21 PM

right, i'll see what she thinks of the premise first then.
supernatural stuff really gets her spooked, she totally freaked out when we watched White noise and i had to switch it off

Halloween_22 23rd November 2008 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim corrupt (Post 17726)
right, i'll see what she thinks of the premise first then.
supernatural stuff really gets her spooked, she totally freaked out when we watched White noise and i had to switch it off

Shit. I wouldn't recommend watching this with her then jim :D. The scenes where the female character gets raped and assaulted by the poltergeist are pretty nasty. Personally it didnt affect me but I guess watching this film is quite a different experience for girls.

jim corrupt 23rd November 2008 03:33 PM

yeah i would imagine so!
cant say i was too gutted to have to switch off white noise though ya kno? haha

mark meakin 23rd November 2008 06:36 PM

One of the best supernatural films of the 1980s.Barbara Hershey is superb in this,as are Stan Winston's mk-up effects during the assaults.The widescreen dvd is a vast improvement over the old Fox tapes too.There are also a couple of good jumps which are also pretty effective.I also quite like The Incubus starring John Cassavates but it's not a patch on this particular film.The author of the original book & screenplay also directed the excellent TVM Dark Night Of The Scarecrow.

DeadAlive 23rd November 2008 10:32 PM

"The Entity" is one of my Mrs fav horror films. The rape aspect has never bothered her but the voice that is heard during the film is a different matter. A definite classic in my opinion.