Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1980's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th September 2012, 05:55 PM
Seasoned Cultist

ah,the 80s!
lots of films i own/seen,but alot of films i aint!
must look some of these up.
glad to see "the burning" in there!
Old 7th September 2012, 10:04 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Watched Prom Night on YouTube after this thread last night rather than buy a DVD, it wasn't very good after all - so thanks for the heads up before I went and spent £15+ on a copy.

I'll try the 4 that Demdike has recommended next I think, before tackling 'the list'.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 7th September 2012, 10:09 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Watched Prom Night on YouTube after this thread last night rather than buy a DVD, it wasn't very good after all - so thanks for the heads up before I went and spent £15+ on a copy.

I'll try the 4 that Demdike has recommended next I think, before tackling 'the list'.
Rosemary's Killer AKA The Prowler is also up on YouTube, and is very good thanks to the talents of Tom Savini, that one is worth forking out for, BU released it on a region free BD(which I need to invest in myself)
Daemonia, dis and Demoncrat like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 7th September 2012, 11:45 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

THE PROWLER is one of my favourite slasher movies, Savini's fx are superb.
Peter Neal, Daemonia, Rik and 3 others like this.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 7th September 2012, 12:51 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default If you haven't seen yet...

StageFright: Aquarius (1987) - is a keeper

The House on Sorority Row (1983) - was a pleasant surprise for me after watching so much guff.

Superstition (1982) Isn't strictly a slasher, but it's easily one of my all time fav 80's horror, a body count movie with (a black) heart!

Tourist Trap (1979) - Sort of Carrie meets The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - very underrated!

Curtains (1983) - While it has a made for TV murder mystery feel to it, there's at least 2 classic scenes, real stuff of nightmares.

Terror Train (1980) - Pretty entertaining slasher flick, due to killer's costume changes!

Alice, Sweet Alice (1976) A.K.A Communion - Often gets labeled "An American Giallo", but slasher fans can still "enjoy" it.

Intruder (1989) Delivers the wet stuff and is fun with it.

Happy Birthday to Me (1981) - The longest slasher film ever, has almost soap like qualites at times, but it ticks all the right boxes.

The Prowler (1981) While it drags for me at times, I'd still say it's one of the best 80's slashers.

Madman (1982) - A mixed bag, (Some cheese and low budget hurts it) but the atmosphere and the Madman of the title is very memorable.

Hell Night (1981) - Low body count, but it's surprisingly suspenseful towards the end.

Rituals (1977) - My favourite "Deliverance" clone, captures the feeling of being lost in the middle of no where more so than the more known "Just Before Dawn" for my money.

Silent Night, Bloody Night (1974) - More in line with Black Christmas, I found it be a surprisingly creepy, sombre movie.

Unhinged (1982) - Often Panned, for good reasons, as not a lot happens for much of it's running time, but the ending is worth the wait!

Final Exam (1981) - A bloodless slasher, what's the point eh? I actually liked this one, pretty creepy atmosphere and I like there's hardly any motive given for the murders.

Two useful sites:

Hysteria Lives! (The reviews are fun reads)

Retro Slashers (Deals with even the most obscure stuff)
Pete, Justin101, Demoncrat and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Beyond72; 8th September 2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old 7th September 2012, 01:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

This has got me in the mood again to continue the old "Must see every slasher!" quest, not even at the obscure stuff yet.

While the harsh reviews are usually right, they make it so easy to get discouraged from continuing!
Daemonia likes this.
Old 7th September 2012, 01:22 PM
Cult Veteran

Thanks Beyond that's going to be really useful for me I've seen plenty of crap in my time, but there is always room for more!

I think I've got Chopping Mall lined up for tonight Not seen that since my 'video shop' days.
Beyond72 and Demoncrat like this.
Old 7th September 2012, 01:27 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
I've seen plenty of crap in my time, but there is always room for more!
That's the spirit!

Quote:

I think I've got Chopping Mall lined up for tonight Not seen that since my 'video shop' days.
I'm a sucker for shopping mall locations in horror films!
Daemonia likes this.
Old 7th September 2012, 01:35 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Prom Night hasn't been served well on DVD. The best release was the Aus R4 disc that was remastered and anamorphic.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 9th January 2013, 09:19 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
Prom Night hasn't been served well on DVD. The best release was the Aus R4 disc that was remastered and anamorphic.
Just curious, are there any features on that Aus R4 version? I'll admit, it isn't one of my favs either, but I do hope it gets a good release at some point. Imagine what Arrow could do with it!

xboxlive: TwitchofDethNrv

Like this? Share it using the links below!