Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1980's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Best?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Best?

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th January 2009, 07:52 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

I still prefer the original. I enjoyed Psycho II until the last 10 mins. Then it collapsed.

I've got Bates Motel on VHS. It's absolute drivel. More of a ghost story than a sequel and Bud Cort is hopeless in the lead role. Robert Picardo turns up briefly but that's about it really.

Oh and Jason Bateman plays a dead teenager.
Old 12th January 2009, 07:23 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I have a very soft spot for "Psycho III", one of my earliest VHS rentals in the late 80's, even though slightly cut in Germany for a lower rating in those days....
Perkins' performance in this got often criticized, but I thought he was as good as ever and imho even showed some promise as a director.
A few neat visual and atmospheric touches, some spot on black humour and a great opening with the young nun on the run....an unfairly overlooked flick on its initial release.

Ironically, regarding "Psycho IV", I still think it's Mick Garris' very best work to this day. Above average tv movie from a time when most tv movies still looked, smelled and felt like...well...tv......a dramatically far cry from the quality product made for the telly these days.
plasterface likes this.
Old 12th January 2009, 10:54 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Well at least someone has defended the 4th one. I was beginning to think I was the only one who liked it. It wasn't a bad effort at all considering its limitations. I disagree though regarding Mick Garris' best work, that honour surely goes to THE STAND.
plasterface likes this.
Old 12th January 2009, 11:21 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Loved Psycho 2 with its fine performances,great score & some moving scenes (well I thought so !)That ending is a cracker too & it's certainly in my top five sequels ever.Psycho 3 also impressed me with its black humour & some nice performances.The TV sequel is dull & unmemorable IMHO.
Old 24th January 2009, 06:53 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Just watched Bates Motel and guess what, I liked it! OK so it was nothing like the other films, it had zero gore, a crap plot (especially the last 25 minutes), was very cheesy and it did lack the Norman Bates factor but it was entertaining and had a lot of charm. It's always nice when you watch a film with low expectations and find it's actually quite good.
Old 15th December 2011, 08:38 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Anything of the terrific Psycho sequels for Blu Ray yet?

Come on Universal!

Any other fans?

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 15th December 2011, 10:14 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I was surprised at how good all the sequels are.

None of them take anything away from the original film or leave you with a sour taste in the mouth, unlike, say, the Star Wars films or the Matrix sequels.

I'm not saying they add anything to the classic original, but they are all deserving of the name and can easily be watched all together, with the original in a Psycho movie marathon.
Old 16th December 2011, 09:43 AM
Cult Acolyte

I'd love a BD of the remake - Christopher Doyle's ultra vibrant cinematography would look stunning in hi def . . .
Phurious likes this.
Old 16th December 2011, 04:15 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I've bought this,as I'm sure the Psycho II Japanese dvd I have is cut.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg psy.jpg (11.6 KB, 25 views)
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 16th December 2011, 04:48 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I loved Psycho II. It was way way better than I expected and I think Perkins manages to outdo his performance from the original, well for me anyway. He manages to nail the ambiguity that is more or less common knowledge these days as there has been so much written about, filmed about and studied about the original film. And Meg Tilly...

Not seen the other sequels, but would be keen to. And even though it's treason I think Van Sant's remake is pretty decent and he did a very good job of defending it on Mark Cousin's The Story Of Film recently.

Midnight Video 26: The Great Silence, My Favourite Year and Brain Damage

Like this? Share it using the links below!