Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1980's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Best?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Best?

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th February 2012, 12:05 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload View Post
I like TCM 2, always had a soft spot for it. I know it's s bit of a mess and there's no doubt that it doesn't hold a candle to the original but I do like it.

...and Nos, you mention the comedy in the sequel but the original has a really ghoulish streak of comedy running through it too. I'm sure it's deliberate but it's quite clever how Hooper and co manipulate the audience because a lot of the humour is derived from "nervous laughs", the dinner table/hammer clad granddad being a case point.
As Demdike said, I find the dinner table scene to be one of the most disturbing in the entire film because of the maniacal laughter and completely macabre setting. When Sally says she will do 'anything' (presumably inferring sex) and the family just continues to bicker and laugh at her pleads, I find that to be extremely unsettling and the section where Grandpa is trying to hit her is surprisingly drawn out and always seems far longer than it really is.

TCM 2, on the other hand, is much more colourful and is a slightly comedic film, from the chilli cookoff to the chainsaw fight. It isn't as grim, nihilistic or downright terrifying as TCSM with some of the amusing exchanges and set pieces acting as relief points from the horror.

Anyway, back to the Psycho sequels...
Old 4th February 2012, 02:45 PM
Cultist

I voted for II, but the other two sequels are good as well. While obviously not in the same league of filmmaking as the orginal they are all thoroughly decent entertaining follow ups. The remake is complete shite though and I haven't seen the TV pilot.

When you can find the time read this retrospective of the entire franchise over at CHUD (the remake is coming up soon). It's a very good read...

FRANCHISE ME: Psycho | CHUD.com

FRANCHISE ME: Psycho II | CHUD.com

FRANCHISE ME: Psycho III | CHUD.com

FRANCHISE ME: Psycho IV: The Beginning | CHUD.com

FRANCHISE ME: Bates Motel | CHUD.com
it'smebilly likes this.

UPDATED WEEKLY
Old 23rd March 2015, 01:44 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

I was lucky enough to watch Psycho on the big screen yesterday at a local cinema and it was such a great experience! I have no idea how many times I've watched the film, but it keeps getting better and better. The film is still so intense and with every viewing you spot some new small details.

An excellent film! If you can see it on the big screen, don't miss it!
Old 23rd March 2015, 01:57 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdvds@Cult Labs View Post
I was lucky enough to watch Psycho on the big screen yesterday at a local cinema and it was such a great experience! I have no idea how many times I've watched the film, but it keeps getting better and better. The film is still so intense and with every viewing you spot some new small details.

An excellent film! If you can see it on the big screen, don't miss it!
You lucky

Old 23rd March 2015, 02:08 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
You lucky

Nah nah nah-nah-nah

If you have a Picturehouse nearby, Nordic you may be lucky enough to see it there. The cinema I saw it at was a Picturehouse one, so I imagine it'll be showing at them all at some point.
Old 23rd March 2015, 02:13 PM
Cult Master

No such luck here. I have never had the chance to see any of my favourite films in the cinema there are two cinemas now after a new one opened at Xmas both show the exact same films the town I live in is not even that big.
Old 23rd March 2015, 03:46 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
No such luck here. I have never had the chance to see any of my favourite films in the cinema there are two cinemas now after a new one opened at Xmas both show the exact same films the town I live in is not even that big.
I know how frustrating that is! Surely if one cinema is showing one kind of film, you'd want to give people the chance to see other films at your cinema - otherwise you might as well just be the same company! It's so annoying.

Hopefully you'll have a chance to see it at a cinema. The shower scene still sends shivers down me - so powerful. Anthony Perkins is incredible!

Like this? Share it using the links below!