View Single Post
Old 20th November 2011, 09:47 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Limey View Post
Michael,

Thanks for joining the thread. I have a quick question and that is has anyone had a chance yet to view the materials that Warner are providing?
If so any thoughts?
The producer of the DVD has seen the Warner-supplied SD Digibeta master, and says that it looks pretty stunning - on visual grounds alone, this will be by far the best that The Devils has looked on video to date, albeit obviously falling short of the HD ideal.

It's probably a reasonably safe bet that the same master was the source for most of the footage of the 2004 version, as that was created on Digibeta - in which case I can completely endorse that description based on what I saw in NFT1 seven years ago. Although I could tell that it was sourced from video (there were telltale jaggies around the sharp edges of Derek Jarman's sets), it really did look remarkably good, especially considering that it was SD video.

And I can certainly confirm that it will be in the correct aspect ratio and anamorphically enhanced - I know this stuff should be absolutely basic in this day and age, but a couple of people have expressed legitimate concerns about this on the basis that the UK cinema cut has only previously been shown in a cropped-to-16:9 version (on both VHS and TV).