Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1990's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=554)
-   -   The Prophecy (1995) (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1990s/13057-prophecy-1995-a.html)

Justin101 2nd July 2015 09:02 AM

The Prophecy (1995)

Hi Guys,

Netflix added The Prophecy starring Christopher Walken yesterday. This is a film I always saw in the video shop and on trailers but I never got around to renting out and I was wondering if it's worth taking the time to watch it. I believe it spawned some sequels but only the first film is streaming at the moment.

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd July 2015 11:23 AM

The Prophecy is a great film.

Widely regarded at the time as a film that should have gone to cinemas rather than DTV.

I have the dvd box set. The sequels are ok but not a patch on the original.

I suppose you'll like it if you like the idea of angels battling it out on Earth.

Excellent cast as well.

Demoncrat 2nd July 2015 01:33 PM

It's not the film that I remembered when I rewatched recently, but it certainly does have the odd moment cough...go for it!!:)

Nordicdusk 2nd July 2015 04:06 PM

Its well worth your time i love it.

Justin101 2nd July 2015 05:24 PM

I'll give it a go this weekend then for sure :)

JamesN 5th June 2016 03:59 PM

I'm obviously late to the game here -- forgive me, I'm brand new to the forum, and this is only my second post :) -- but yes, THE PROPHECY is very much worth a watch. I saw it in the theater back in the day, and I've always thought it was one of the most underrated horror films of the '90s. I love a good religious horror tale . . . .

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th June 2016 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesN (Post 492742)
I'm obviously late to the game here -- forgive me, I'm brand new to the forum, and this is only my second post :) -- but yes, THE PROPHECY is very much worth a watch. I saw it in the theater back in the day, and I've always thought it was one of the most underrated horror films of the '90s. I love a good religious horror tale . . . .

It's a great film. One of the finest casts a standard horror film has possibly had.

Zach Zeman 23rd June 2016 01:20 AM

I originally clicked on this thread to see if you were talking about John Frankenheimer's Prophecy from 1979 to try and argue with someone if they liked it (because I really did not like it at all. Then I realized this is the 90s horror subforum. :tongue1:

I strayed a little from the topic but yeah The Prophecy is fantastic. Never saw the sequels though.

Cinematic Shocks 23rd June 2016 08:47 AM

So underrated. This is also one of Christopher Walken's best roles yet is never acknowledged by mainstream critics due to the nature of the film's release. Yeah the two sequels are pretty meh but Walken always makes the worst films passably entertaining.

SymbioticFunction 4th January 2017 12:53 AM

Yeah the sequels are all pretty bad but the original film is a classic. Eric Stoltz and Christopher Walken give wonderful performances. It's been released on a very shoddy blu-ray overseas, would love to see an impressive release for the film.