Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1990's

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st September 2010, 11:34 PM
Cult Rookie

Default Audition (1999)

So I watched Audition last night. It's a weirdly conventional film for the first hour or so, then the last half an hour and just beyond. I mean they are seriously ****ed up. At one point I left the room and actually spewed into the toilet.

I'm not sure what I make of this to be honest. In a way, it's worse than Salo because I don't understand what it's trying to say. It's not really scary, just sick. And apart from that, the girl is really really annoying.

It's clever from the point of view as it is not clear what is real and what is not, what is a dream/ hallucination/ nightmare and what is actually happening, but to what end I ask? I'm not sure if there is a point to it all. If it's all real then it is simply "fear the abused psycho!", if it isn't it's "why is that guy so totally paranoid?". Neither of those things are that interesting.
Old 22nd September 2010, 05:24 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryvonKramer View Post
At one point I left the room and actually spewed into the toilet.

I saw this on one of my rare excursions to the cinema, as I was reviewing the film for the university newspaper. I don't mind admitting that I was shutting my eyes on occasion. The couple in front of me were in palpable discomfort for much of the film and finally walked out as our 'heroine' announced that 'this saw can cut through meat and bone'.
Old 23rd September 2010, 11:05 AM
Cult Rookie

Good movie, but not as disturbing as it's made out to be. I enjoyed it. Much more than I did Ichi.
Our forum holds a range of horror topics, from the latest comedy horror to the most depraved underground film. If you love horror (what a question!), then pop in and say hello :mrgreen: Link is above.
Old 23rd September 2010, 11:18 AM
Cultist

Yeah, I didn't greatly care for Ichi, although the version that I saw very badly cut, even moreso than the British release apparently.
Old 23rd September 2010, 12:52 PM
Cult Rookie

I have the R3 uncut one and you're not really missing much. There's a few good bits in it though. Not sure how much has been cut out of the UK one, but it's most likely anything with a bit of violence! lol
Our forum holds a range of horror topics, from the latest comedy horror to the most depraved underground film. If you love horror (what a question!), then pop in and say hello :mrgreen: Link is above.
Old 23rd September 2010, 01:01 PM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadandWalkingDotCom View Post
INot sure how much has been cut out of the UK one, but it's most likely anything with a bit of violence! lol
Over 3 mins. Here's what's missing.
Old 23rd September 2010, 04:24 PM
Cultist

The version I watched was on a R3 disc from Hong Kong, as I recall, and apparently they came down on the film even harder than the BBFC.
Old 1st October 2010, 09:32 PM
Active Cultist

May favourite part of this movie is when she nonchalently throws his severed foot at the window.
Old 2nd October 2010, 07:26 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by re.form View Post
May favourite part of this movie is when she nonchalently throws his severed foot at the window.
Anyone got her phone number? That broad's got class.
Old 25th January 2015, 12:28 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Always listed as one of the most disturbing films but to me its much more than just a disturbing film. Everyone just seems to talks about the end Granted the famous part is pretty intense but the film has a lot of warmth and humour to it also. Ryo Ishibashi is fantastic as the widower and you really connect and sympathise on his quest to find love. Eihi Shiina is also fantastic in her role first she comes across very shy and reserved but soon her creepy side begins to show. First time i watched it was after hearing how disturbing it was so i was just looking for gore and i didnt understand the slow pace of the film this was at a time when i was just getting into Asian cinema so i had no clue what i was getting into. I maybe alone here but i find alot of beauty in this film. If you have not seen it try and ignore the disturbing film tag and go in with an open mind and maybe you will see the beauty i get from it. Or maybe im completely wrong

Like this? Share it using the links below!