Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1990's

Poll: Blair Witch Verdict?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Blair Witch Verdict?

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th October 2010, 09:05 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Yeah,what was that other one about The Jersey Devil...The Last Broadcast.
Now it WAS woeful!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 14th November 2010, 01:33 AM
Cult Rookie

I bought 'The Blair Witch Project' on DVD when it was first released in the US. It arrived the day it hit our cinemas so all the hype about it being genuine was still in full swing. I followed all the supposed events on it's official site. So I watched the documentary on the DVD first, 'Curse of the Blair Witch' which goes into the 'history' of the Blair Witch case and mythology and again, tries to convince everything is true. Although I didn't fall for any of it, I couldn't help but be drawn in. So, with the lights off and curtains closed, I sat down and watched it. In parts it was very creepy. But I am ashamed to say, especially as few films ever bother me, the final five minutes almost gave me a damn heart attack. I think once it was common knowledge it was fake and everybody knew about the ending, it lost it's magic. Though I still like it and think it was an extremely clever film built on marketing and hype. Although 'Cannibal Holocaust' did the "genuine footage" angle first and better, it still has a lot to answer for with all the 'cam-corder footage' films that have followed.
Old 18th November 2010, 09:04 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs View Post
It's funny how some films depend so much on the environment in which you see them. Saw Buried at the weekend and, while I think it's one of the best films I've seen all year, I think it only works in a darkened cinema.

Unless of course you have the capacity to completely black out your living room!
I agree Sarah. The first time I was aware of the movie was in the US. I was excited at being able to see The Phantom Menace a month before the UK, while I was in Everett, Washington. (My good mood would deteriorate after watching TPM). Just before TPM started, an odd teaser trailer came on for a film I hadn’t heard of, suggesting it was based on real events.
Eventually, I attended a special screening at the Barbican. Everyone that was there, wanted to be there, so the atmosphere was quite reverential and respectful, instead of taco chomping, crisp packet rustlers that you get in the average cinema.
For the most part I felt like I was watching a loud American girl whinging for 90 minutes and I asked myself why I was there watching this. It was the punchline ending that got me and the feeling afterwards, reflecting on what I had seen. I last saw it, on DVD, a year ago. That will be the last time I watch it, it doesn’t work at all after a number of repeated viewings.
What I liked most about the series, was the mythology behind it. I’ve seen all the “documentaries” focusing on the Blair Witch and the whole thing’s quite clever.
Is the Blu-Ray going to include the extended version that was touted a couple of years back?
Old 18th November 2010, 09:45 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I managed to ignore pretty much all the hype surrounding it at the time of release- Not that hard really as I was moving from Germany to Finland in '99 and had other things on my mind- so "Blair Witch" hit me unprepared and has become one of the genuinely scariest movies I know- then again the mere notion of having to spent a night in a forest in the middle of nowhere wuold be enough to turn me into a nervous wreck
It's a testament to the power of sound and suggestion and has only recently been rivaled by "Paranormal Activity" as far as the "reality"-angle's effectivity is concerned
And no, I don't think the "similarities" to "Cannibal Holocaust" are that striking in the end.
Old 18th November 2010, 09:49 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I will keep schtum on my opinions of the Paranormal Activity franchise.*

* or not

Last edited by wayfarer; 18th November 2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 18th November 2010, 10:47 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

The BLAIR WITHC PROJECT in HD? Now that has got to be the greatest oxymoron in the history of cinema.

I think it’s vastly overrated. While I wouldn’t go as far as to write it off as “shit” like Inspector Tanzi, I’d agree that it failed to live up to the hype. If you overlook the gimmicky publicity all you’re really left with is a sub-par CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST wannabe, albeit it one without the gore and animal cruelty. It’s the hype and back story that’s of great significance and a reason why the film will continue to endure (for a while at least).
I’ve not seen the sequel and have still not seen PARANORMAL ACTIVITY, but fear that the latter will probably leave me as cold as BWP.
Old 18th November 2010, 11:46 AM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload View Post
The BLAIR WITHC PROJECT in HD? Now that has got to be the greatest oxymoron in the history of cinema.

I think it’s vastly overrated. While I wouldn’t go as far as to write it off as “shit” like Inspector Tanzi, I’d agree that it failed to live up to the hype. If you overlook the gimmicky publicity all you’re really left with is a sub-par CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST wannabe, albeit it one without the gore and animal cruelty. It’s the hype and back story that’s of great significance and a reason why the film will continue to endure (for a while at least).
I’ve not seen the sequel and have still not seen PARANORMAL ACTIVITY, but fear that the latter will probably leave me as cold as BWP.
I don't think anybody is missing anything by not watching 'The Blair Witch Project 2: Book of Shadows.' It completely foregoes the cam-corder footage route but continues with the premise that the original was genuine footage. It is an absolutely awful film though, never heard about anybody liking it.
As for you not seeing 'Paranormal Activity,' if you didn't like 'Blair Witch' then you're probably better off staying away from it as I doubt whether you would like it. It's basically 'Blair Witch' but set in a house and with an opening/closing door and lights that turn on and off. Plus the same kind of "everything kicks in all in the last five minutes" kind of ending.
Old 18th November 2010, 02:23 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

PA is slightly different to Blair Witch in that it reminds of those viral emails that went around that prompted the receiver to stare at some innocuous footage for a couple of minutes before a big screaming scary face popped up. What BW shares with PA is irritating, annoying characters. The only redeeming feature in PA is the lead actresses breasts which act more convincingly than she does and are far more obvious than anything the male lead can come up with.
In PA there's some rumbling that indicates "demonic" activity. Then a cup might move on a table. It scared many sensitive Americans judging from the trailer. There's a lot of footage that shows the woman standing watching her partner. Shocking stuff indeed.
The sequel to PA at least weaves the original into it, becoming a prequel/sequel.
In the biggest shock announcement so far this year, PA3 will be out next October
Old 18th November 2010, 11:25 PM
Cult Addict

I saw the BWP on it's cinema release, it certainly had a special atmosphere, loads of kids sitting in front of me were smoking skunk!

I've enjoyed it more on repeat viewings whenever it is on telly. In parts it is very effective, the scene with all the fetishes hanging from the trees was great, as were the final 15 minutes or so. One grip, in the final scene when you see magic symbols painted on a wall, it's just a magical alphabet copied from a book and basically reads in translation, a b c d e f...z, pretty lazy stuff.

The squeal had me standing in the corner praying the witch would get me.
Old 19th November 2010, 08:53 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I think The Blair Witch Project is an extremely effective horror film that even now and after numerous viewings still leaves me slightly unnerved and unsettled when it suddenly finishes. The sequel is just dreadful and one of the very worst films I've ever paid to see at the cinema.

Like this? Share it using the links below!