Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1990's

Poll: Blair Witch Verdict?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Blair Witch Verdict?

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd November 2010, 12:21 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I thought BWP was woeful. If I'd realised that running around the woods at night with a camcorder could've netted me millions, I'd have done it first.

Seriously, though, for me the film fails in every way. They characters act stupidly (they throw away the map FFS - and then don't think to review the camcorder where they'd the filmed the bloody thing! D'oh!). It's a non-starter. It's not frightening, it's not scary. What are they actually afraid of? A witch we never see and patently doesn't exist except in their imaginations? No, couldn't get worked up over this one. It just bored me (and made me feel dizzy).

Just my opinion. Paranormal Activity is rubbish too. So there.
iank likes this.
Old 22nd November 2010, 02:26 AM
Cult Acolyte

You pretty much summed up my own feelings on The Blair Witch Project there, Daemonia.An absolutely awful film imo, a load of overhyped nonsense that didn't even feature a witch.
Old 22nd November 2010, 11:32 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
I thought BWP was woeful. If I'd realised that running around the woods at night with a camcorder could've netted me millions, I'd have done it first.

Seriously, though, for me the film fails in every way. They characters act stupidly (they throw away the map FFS - and then don't think to review the camcorder where they'd the filmed the bloody thing! D'oh!). It's a non-starter. It's not frightening, it's not scary. What are they actually afraid of? A witch we never see and patently doesn't exist except in their imaginations? No, couldn't get worked up over this one. It just bored me (and made me feel dizzy).

Just my opinion. Paranormal Activity is rubbish too. So there.
It's not a great movie but you've clearly been watching a different version from some of us.

If I recall correctly, the idea of the movie was that we see an edited version of their tapes (could be wrong there). So, they might not have remembered recording the map. It's not like they were thinking straight; they were supposed to be cold, tired and hungry.
We don't see the thing but there's definitely a threat, that mimics one of them and then dispatches the rest. Of course it could have been the missing guy that carries that out.
Old 22nd November 2010, 11:54 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The film begins with this piece of text:

The film then goes straight into footage of Heather filming herself and talking about the project. I have no problems with how they lose the map and interact with each other as that is what would happen if you were tired and cold, lost in the woods and being spooked by some strange noises and effigies.
Old 5th June 2016, 05:25 PM
Cultist

I thought it was extremely effective the first couple times I saw it in the theater. I remember my friends and I walking out afterward, in the dead heat of summer, and we all had goosebumps on our arms.

That said, it's not a film with a whole lot of "rewatch value". While I still like it, it loses more and more of its power each time I see it.

. . . although I did watch it on a portable DVD player with my nieces and nephews a few years ago, at 1:00 in the morning in the middle of the woods on a family camping trip.

That worked.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 28th July 2016, 03:33 PM
Cult Master

A ad for the mobile phone operator Three and the LG G4 handset

Needless to say, the Advertising Standards Authority took a dim view of it

ASA Ruling on Hutchison 3G UK Ltd

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Last edited by Susan Foreman; 28th July 2016 at 03:53 PM.
Old 28th July 2016, 04:56 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
A ad for the mobile phone operator Three and the LG G4 handset

Needless to say, the Advertising Standards Authority took a dim view of it

ASA Ruling on Hutchison 3G UK Ltd
Fascinating. It basically absolves parents of responsibility for what their young children watch on the Internet when unsupervised.
Old 28th July 2018, 07:24 PM
Cultist

Watched again last week for the first time since it came out and it's still one of the creepiest films ever. It sadly paved the way for the whole found footage/camcorder type film though
Old 29th July 2018, 12:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Still remember a mate breathlessly asking if it "was real" after cycling down to mine after he had watched it .
For me, The Last Broadcast was the better film. Until they ruined it with the ending that is. Whatever. I grew to like the sequel.

It is only a movie .....
bleakshaun likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 29th July 2018, 02:25 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Agree with D, the sequel is good. Nothing like the original and deeply flawed but still good.

Blair Witch from last year is horrible though.
Demoncrat and bleakshaun like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!