Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1990's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=554)
-   -   Your Favourite Horror Film from 1994 (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1990s/5428-your-favourite-horror-film-1994-a.html)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 23rd April 2011 09:06 AM

Your Favourite Horror Film from 1994

3 Attachment(s)
1994 was a year for some brilliant horror films, but which one is your favourite? What makes it special to you? When did you first see it? Would you recommend it to the uninitiated?

Sometimes it's a hard decision to just pick one film (even when you're limiting it to a single year!), but my favourite film of 1994 is...

Dellamorte Dellamore - Michele Soavi

An absolute gem of film, and one which combines horror with wit and romance, in a way, Soavi has created a visual poem to the dead.

Trailer:

Runners Up:
Aswang
In the Mouth of Madness
Mary Shelley's Frankenstein
Mute Witness
Nightwatch
Schramm
Wes Craven's New Nightmare

J.R. 23rd April 2011 09:43 AM

Dellamorte Dellmore would be a close second for me after In The Mouth of Madness.

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th April 2011 05:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
During the nineties i went to the cinema every Sunday afternoon, saw some huge blockbusters and small indie flicks plus everything inbetween.
I was fortunate to see In the Mouth of Madness, Mute Witness and Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, but my favourite horror from 1994 is Interview with a Vampire. Reasons? much the same as Bram Stoker's Dracula - Gothic horror, blood, sex, a great cast, and a terrific score. Add to that Sympathy for the Devil by Guns n' Roses as Lestat murders Christian Slater as the sun rises over the Golden Gate bridge.

The book bored the life out of me though! :lol:

antmumford 5th May 2011 05:34 PM

I've literally just this minute only come across In the Mouth of Madness when a recommendation on Lovefilm came up. Never heard of it before. Seems weird that it never got a UK release, after checking dvdcompare.net it seems the best version to get is the French one, is it really worth picking up??

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 5th May 2011 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 148277)
I've literally just this minute only come across In the Mouth of Madness when a recommendation on Lovefilm came up. Never heard of it before. Seems weird that it never got a UK release, after checking dvdcompare.net it seems the best version to get is the French one, is it really worth picking up??

It's a decent film, ant - even though it isn't regarded as one of Carpenter's best.

I think rights issues have prevented it getting a release over here, unfortunately.

antmumford 5th May 2011 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 148280)
It's a decent film, ant - even though it isn't regarded as one of Carpenter's best.

I think rights issues have prevented it getting a release over here, unfortunately.

It's had great reviews on lots of sites so I'm sure I'll enjoy it, some have said it's better than They Live, and to me that's a classic!

I've found that New Line Cinema are thinking of a Blu-ray release at some point but that could be years away still. Blu-ray Disc Details: In the Mouth of Madness | High-Def Digest

There's still so much Carpenter work that I need to see. Still got Prince of Darkness in my to watch pile, might stick it to the top now though as I'm getting more intrigued to see his lesser known works

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 5th May 2011 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 148281)
It's had great reviews on lots of sites so I'm sure I'll enjoy it, some have said it's better than They Live, and to me that's a classic!

I've found that New Line Cinema are thinking of a Blu-ray release at some point but that could be years away still. Blu-ray Disc Details: In the Mouth of Madness | High-Def Digest

There's still so much Carpenter work that I need to see. Still got Prince of Darkness in my to watch pile, might stick it to the top now though as I'm getting more intrigued to see his lesser known works

I personally prefer They Live to In the Mouth of Madness, but it is still a very good film in my opinion - Sam Neill is great in it.

As for Prince of Darkness, a lot of people dislike it but I think it ranks alongside some of Carpenter's best work. I certainly prefer it to Christine, which itself is still a great film.

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th May 2011 06:20 PM

Saw In the Mouth of Madness at the cinema, it was one of the few films that was actually scary on the big screen.

I'm with you Bizarre eye, Prince of Darkness is excellent, comes in just behind The Fog, The thing, and Halloween in my estimations. (actually i may prefer it to Halloween)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 30th July 2011 04:00 PM

There are several personal favourites from this year, including Interview with the Vampire, Wes Craven's New Nightmare and Nightwatch, but I'm going to hold judgement until I've seen Dellamorte Dellamorte.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 30th July 2011 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 169643)
There are several personal favourites from this year, including Interview with the Vampire, Wes Craven's New Nightmare and Nightwatch, but I'm going to hold judgement until I've seen Dellamorte Dellamorte.

You haven't seen it, Nos?! :faint:

Drop whatever your doing and watch it immediately! ;)