Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1990's

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th May 2011, 10:10 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Default have to concur about DOTB

yes its Day of the Beast for me as well. once on C4 and i was hooked...in fact il dig that out tonight....
theres nowt wrong with Castle Freak!! IMO.
Old 6th May 2011, 01:27 PM
Active Cultist

Glad there's another fan of DotB out there.The film itself seems to be all but disappeared...
Old 6th May 2011, 02:24 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Nice one Jani, you rate Castle Freak as highly as i do.
Old 30th July 2011, 03:22 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Another vote for Se7en. I'm surprised it's not generally regarded as a horror film as it contains perhaps the most brutal and sadistic serial killer in film history, an utterly oppressive and unsettling atmosphere, a disquieting score and perhaps the most downbeat ending since Night of the Living Dead.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 30th July 2011, 07:26 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I think the reason why I don't consider Se7en a horror film is probably because, for me, the film is more about the relationship between Freeman and Pitt and their unfolding journey in order to catch the killer, rather than the killer himself.

Yes, there are horror-themed scenes, but we only tend to see the after effects, rather than the acts themselves, and with the killer only featuring in the final acts, I see Se7en as more of a crime thriller than a horror film.

I think the methods in which the murders are committed infer a horror film, but remove the method of the murders, and you're left with Midsomer Murders - which isn't horror (horrible, perhaps? )

Obviously that previous paragraph was a joke, and I completely understand why people see Se7en as a horror film. There are many films I consider horror that others won't do.

I hate strict categorisation of anything by genre anyway.
Old 30th July 2011, 08:41 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Love Castle Freak and Day Of The Beast...

...but it has to be The Addiction. Oh yes.

I have an odd relationship with Seven (indeed most of Fincher's output) - loved it at the cinema, didn't like it the next couple of times I saw it (VHS, TV) then sort of half-way enjoyed it again when I saw it last a couple of years ago. I would consider it a horror film (it crosses genres, but horror is certainly one it belongs within), but not the best of this year.

The Addiction
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 1st August 2011, 12:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Another vote for Se7en. I'm surprised it's not generally regarded as a horror film as it contains perhaps the most brutal and sadistic serial killer in film history, an utterly oppressive and unsettling atmosphere, a disquieting score and perhaps the most downbeat ending since Night of the Living Dead.
really?? Henry methinks IMO on all counts beats it....
Old 2nd August 2011, 07:29 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Se7en. Really nailed Fincher down as someone to watch. It's just a shame he followed it with Panic Room!
Old 11th August 2011, 09:08 PM
Cultist

A friend talked me into seeing Demon Knight with him when it first came out. I wasn't a Tales from the Crypt fan so I had low expectations. Came out of the theater quite impressed. DK is a favorite of mine now.
Old 11th August 2011, 10:23 PM
Cultist in Training

Alex de la Iglesia's Dia de la Bestia tops this year for me. Great film with some hilarious dark comedy.

Like this? Share it using the links below!