Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1990's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=554)
-   -   Your Favourite Horror Film from 1995 (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1990s/5429-your-favourite-horror-film-1995-a.html)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 23rd April 2011 09:33 AM

Your Favourite Horror Film from 1995

3 Attachment(s)
1995 was a year for some brilliant horror films, but which one is your favourite? What makes it special to you? When did you first see it? Would you recommend it to the uninitiated?

Sometimes it's a hard decision to just pick one film (even when you're limiting it to a single year!), but my favourite film of 1995 is...

The Addiction - Abel Ferrara

Ferrara's The Addiction is one of those niche little indy films that tends to get overlooked, but it is a seriously good film. Shot in black and white it follows the life of a NY grad student as she struggles to come to terms with her new life after getting bit by a vampire.

Ferrara is known for his gritty film-making style, and The Addiction doesn't disappoint on that front. Both Walken and Taylor are fantastic, and it is certainly one of those films that gives you plenty to think about.

The First Bite Scene:

Runners Up:
Castle Freak
The Day of the Beast
Evil Ed
Halloween 4: The Curse of Michael Myers
Lord of Illusions
The Prophecy
Screamers
Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight

J.R. 23rd April 2011 09:53 AM

I'd say Burial of the Rats just for Maria Ford, but I must say that Eko Eko Azarak would have to win... um I may have spelt that incorrectly.

The best horror of this dry film year was for the video game Phantasmagoria!!!

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd April 2011 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.R. (Post 145398)
I'd say Burial of the Rats just for Maria Ford, but I must say that Eko Eko Azarak would have to win... um I may have spelt that incorrectly.

The best horror of this dry film year was for the video game Phantasmagoria!!!

Burial of the rats is a fine film.

I picked up Anchor Bays disc a couple of years ago for under £2 in Music Zone (RIP)

Make Them Die Slowly 23rd April 2011 08:40 PM

Once again I'm going with BE's choice, "The Addiction" is a great slow burn of a film. I quite like "Castle Freak" as well which surprised me, as generally I think Gordon is a hack:behindsofa:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 23rd April 2011 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 145542)
Once again I'm going with BE's choice, "The Addiction" is a great slow burn of a film. I quite like "Castle Freak" as well which surprised me, as generally I think Gordon is a hack:behindsofa:

Nice to see another fan of The Addiction. :)

I also agree with you on Castle Freak, but I do like some of Gordon's other work, aside from the obvious Re-Animator and From Beyond I also really like Dolls.

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd April 2011 11:07 PM

I think i am going to have to rewatch Castle Freak, i thought it was pretty poor.

You do mean the Stuart Gordon bilge with Jeffrey Combs.

I have it in a box set alongside Pit and the Pendulum and Death Bed, two equally terrible films.

Make Them Die Slowly 24th April 2011 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 145564)
I think i am going to have to rewatch Castle Freak, i thought it was pretty poor.

You do mean the Stuart Gordon bilge with Jeffrey Combs.

That's the one!

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th April 2011 05:56 PM

4 Attachment(s)
The Prophecy is a top film, as is Screamers and i really do like Tales from The Crypt - Demon Knight.

However the film that unsettled me the most whilst watching it on the big screen and gave me the wow factor was Se7en

BioZombie 25th April 2011 06:44 PM

Not seen Addicition, but I think I will need to track it down now, it looks ace!

At the moment it seems my favourite of 1995 is Evil Ed. It's such a fun, silly film I don't know how anyone could not enjoy it.

Jani 6th May 2011 10:00 AM

El DÃ*a de la Bestia / The Day of the Beast is an amazing movie,so it's between that and Se7en,which still holds it's own after seeing it about...7 times.Wonder why there's not many releases of Beast available,I have the spanish edition (now OOP) and it has only letterboxed,non-anamorphic video.That would make a kick ass Blu-ray edition,so Arrow,go for it.Lord of Illusions is not bad at all,hopefully it's not Barker's swan song to directing.Another great movie desperately in need of HD treatment.What else...Castle Freak is just silly B-movie,not in the usual Stuart Gordon standards.Some scenes make me wanna cry.The Mangler,forget it.Japan's All Night Long Volume 2 & Splatter: Naked Blood does the dirty deeds,nauseating stuff indeed.That's recommendations for you.