Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1990's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=554)
-   -   Your Favourite Horror Film from 1996 (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1990s/5430-your-favourite-horror-film-1996-a.html)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 23rd April 2011 09:54 AM

Your Favourite Horror Film from 1996

3 Attachment(s)
1996 was a year for some brilliant horror films, but which one is your favourite? What makes it special to you? When did you first see it? Would you recommend it to the uninitiated?

Sometimes it's a hard decision to just pick one film (even when you're limiting it to a single year!), but my favourite film of 1996 is...

From Dusk Till Dawn - Robert Rodriguez

From Dusk Till Dawn is Rodriguez's best film, in my opinion, and whilst the horror is contained to the final reel, it certainly doesn't disappoint. A great cast and some superb dialogue help to propel the film along very nicely. The visual effects work is also very decent, and certainly standout with regards to some other late '90s films.

Trailer:

Runners Up:
5 Dead on the Crimson Canvas
Bad Moon
The Craft
The Dentist
Fatal Frames
The Frighteners
Hellraiser IV: Bloodline
Organ
Scream
The Stendhal Syndrome
Tales from the Crypt: Bordello of Blood
Tesis
Thinner

Pete 23rd April 2011 10:00 AM

Always wanted to see FATAL FRAMES and TESIS. Is FF really as jaw droppingly bad as people say?

My fave's from '96 are:
FROM DUSK TILL DAWN
SCREAM
THE FRIGHTENERS
THE DENTIST

J.R. 23rd April 2011 10:01 AM

I'll have to be wishy washy cause I cannot decide between From Dusk Til Dawm and The Frighteners.... nup, can't pick one.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 23rd April 2011 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 145403)
Always wanted to see FATAL FRAMES and TESIS. Is FF really as jaw droppingly bad as people say?

My fave's from '96 are:
FROM DUSK TILL DAWN
SCREAM
THE FRIGHTENERS
THE DENTIST

Fatal Frames is bad, but for me it sort of fits into the so bad it's good' category ;)

As for Tesis, it's a brilliant and very harrowing film. It would have been my next choice for best film of '96 after FDTD.

Argentofan 23rd April 2011 09:47 PM

Hmm, very hard to pick between From Dusk Till Dawn and Scream. So I'm not going too. ;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd April 2011 10:55 PM

From Dusk Till Dawn is brilliant, i saw it in the cinema actually unaware how it unfolded, and it was a superb twist in the tale how it transforms from seedy crooks on the run from the law, to seedy crooks on the run from vampires.
The film is so well cast with Clooney, Tarantino, the highly watchable Harvey Keitel, Salma as Satanico Pandemonium, and great cameo's from Cheech Marin, Tom Savini etc.

I might actually prefer The Craft though. :)

J.R. 24th April 2011 12:17 AM

Yeah, I am a Craft fan as well, and that would have been a close third after the two I couldn't decide between.

When I saw FDTD for the first time in '97 (as a double feature with Suspiria on LD) I had no prior knowledge of it, and was pleasantly shocked in the same way you were Demdike!!

Daemonia 25th April 2011 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argentofan (Post 145547)
Hmm, very hard to pick between From Dusk Till Dawn and Scream. So I'm not going too. ;)

And you're not old enough to watch either of them! :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist. How old are you, exactly? Just curious.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 30th July 2011 04:08 PM

Before I clicked on the link, not many horror films came to mind but, looking at the list, I was surprised at what a good year this was. It all boils down to a choice between From Dusk till Dawn, Scream or The Frighteners. The way it reinvented the genre and matched a whip smart screenplay with great death scenes and assured direction by Wes Craven, I'm going to go with Craven's film... just. Again, I'm trying not to pick a horror-comedy but, in any case, that would probably be my favourite.

Scream

Gojirosan 30th July 2011 08:50 PM

Down to a head-to-head between The Frighteners and The Stendhal Syndrome for me. The Stendhal Syndrome edging it.