Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1990's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=554)
-   -   Your Favourite Horror Film from 1997 (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1990s/5444-your-favourite-horror-film-1997-a.html)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 24th April 2011 02:12 PM

Your Favourite Horror Film from 1997

3 Attachment(s)
1997 was a year for some brilliant horror films, but which one is your favourite? What makes it special to you? When did you first see it? Would you recommend it to the uninitiated?

Sometimes it's a hard decision to just pick one film (even when you're limiting it to a single year!), but my favourite film of 1997 is...

Lost Highway - David Lynch

Not generally considered a straight up horror movie (but then again what is?), Lynch's Lost Highway is a complex nightmare-like trip that is filled with surreal imagery. Fans of Lynch's work (like I am) will be more attuned to his way of film-making, but for the uninitiated this could prove to be a bit heavy for an introduction to his work. At any rate it is a marvelous film, that I almost wished didn't have to end. Certainly an all-time favourite as well as my favourite for 1997.

Trailer:

Runners Up:
Cube
Event Horizon
Mimic
The Night Flier
Nightwatch
The Relic
The Ugly
Uncle Sam
Two Orphan Vampires
The Wax Mask
Wishmaster

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th April 2011 06:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Your choice of Lost Highway probably is the best film from 1997, your other picks of Event Horizon and Wishmaster are also top quality. However to add a little variety i will choose I Know What you did Last Summer. I really enjoyed it at the flicks and have seen it quite a few times since and still enjoy it.

Can't say the same about its sequels though.

BioZombie 25th April 2011 06:37 PM

Not sure I would have called Lost Highway a horror (not that I'm sure what I would call it either, maybe a thriller), but it certainly is an awesome film. I think it may even be my favourite David Lynch film. For some odd reason I dont own it. I guess I will wait for BD now.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 30th July 2011 04:13 PM

Like others I've picked from this decade (Se7en and The Silence of the Lambs), I'm again going to go with a film which many don't regard as an outright horror film and agree with bizarre_eye as almost every David Lynch film is genius and has an element of horror.

Lost Highway

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 30th July 2011 05:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
For sheer OTT acting,and one of the best (and always forgotten) portrayals of Satan,then Al Pacino in THE DEVIL'S ADVOCATE wins it hands down.
For his 'Absentee landlord' speech alone.:nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th July 2011 05:24 PM

Completely forgot Devil's Advocate when i made my choice.

I still rate I Know What You Did Last Summer so it doesn't matter.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 30th July 2011 05:28 PM

Good call on The Devil's Advocate. It's one of those where Pacino eating the scenery is part of the character and not an annoying piece of overacting!

That list of films by and/or re-watch is growing by the day, if not the hour!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 30th July 2011 05:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah Devil's Advocate was a superb potboiler!

I remember going into Virgin in Falkirk and picking up the Warner VHS Boxset which contained the widescreen (a collectable thing back then!) VHS and the source novel.:cool:
It was one of my most prized possessions!:lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th July 2011 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 169670)
Yeah Devil's Advocate was a superb potboiler!

I remember going into Virgin in Falkirk and picking up the Warner VHS Boxset which contained the widescreen (a collectable thing back then!) VHS and the source novel.:cool:
It was one of my most prized possessions!:lol:

I still have that release. It also has some large art cards if i recall.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 30th July 2011 05:37 PM

I didn't realise it was based on a novel, so I'll try to buy a copy and read it before I next watch the film.