Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1990's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=554)
-   -   Your Favourite Horror Film from 1999 (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1990s/5446-your-favourite-horror-film-1999-a.html)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 24th April 2011 05:53 PM

Your Favourite Horror Film from 1999

3 Attachment(s)
1999 was a year for some decent horror films, but which one is your favourite? What makes it special to you? When did you first see it? Would you recommend it to the uninitiated?

Sometimes it's a hard decision to just pick one film (even when you're limiting it to a single year!), but my favourite film of 1999 is...

Ravenous - Antonia Bird

I suspect most would vote for Miike's Audition as their number one for 1999, and although it is a very decent film, Ravenous takes the top spot, for me.

A modern day tale of cannibalism, Ravenous is a terrific tale of desperation and madness through isolation. Robert Carlyle, who I think is a brilliant character actor, is on top form in what is one of the best films from the 1990s.

Trailer:

Runners Up:
Audition
Ice from the Sun
Idle Hands
Kolobos
Memento Mori
The Nameless
The Ninth Gate
Premutos
Ring 2
Stir of Echoes

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th April 2011 06:54 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I was going to pick Ravenous the minute i began my nineties posts, but by god my thunder has been stolen. - git :doh: :lol:

My next choice would be The Ninth Gate.
A quality gothic supernatural film from an outstanding director, and an actor at the top of his game.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 25th April 2011 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 145913)
I was going to pick Ravenous the minute i began my nineties posts, but by god my thunder has been stolen. - git :doh: :lol:

:lol:

No reason why you couldn't have chosen it too ;)

Nice pick with The Ninth Gate, though. :thumb:

Pete 25th April 2011 08:08 PM

Audition.:cool:

J.R. 26th April 2011 12:54 AM

I'm with Pete: Audition rocks.

BioZombie 26th April 2011 01:37 PM

I'm with Pete and J.R. Audition is great. :pop2:

Jani 4th May 2011 09:05 AM

Audition gets my vote here,the ending just slams in your face.Some truly wicked,creep-out moments here.What else do we have here...House on Haunted Hill,Kolobos,so far,so good...Bats,no,er,The Blair Witch Project? This one truly sucks ass,no redeeming value whatsoever.Worst of the year.

Jani 4th May 2011 09:17 AM

Oh yeah,Ravenous was good,too bad they chopped it.Would truly like to see the unrated version,but I guess that's not gonna happen.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 30th July 2011 04:30 PM

An impulse vote would have gone to Ravenous but, thinking about it, there are quite a few films I really like:The Ninth Gate, Ring 2 and Stir of Echoes, but I didn't know anything about Takashi Miike when I saw Audition and it's been a favourite of mine ever since. I should really watch Stir of Echoes again, just for Kevin Bacon's superb performance.

Audition

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 30th July 2011 05:14 PM

Ravenous.:cool:

Now there's a film I need to revisit.
I have the dvd,but haven't watched this film since it was first released on video!