Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1990's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Love it or loathe it?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Love it or loathe it?

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd October 2012, 10:38 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I could never understand why the sequence showing the Count walking around London - presented as silent film footage (around the 44.20 mark in the clip above) was in color. Surely it should have been in b/w or tinted ? Always bugged me...
Paul@TheOverlook likes this.
Old 23rd October 2012, 11:25 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I absolutely love this film - I went to see it on opening night at the Odeon Leicester Square. I've owned various incarnations of it over the years:

Rental VHS (20:20 Vision)
Widescreen VHS (Columbia/TriStar)
Limited edition coffin box VHS which came with a pin and something else which I cannot remember for the life of me (Columbia/TriStar)

US CAV LaserDisc (Criterion)

UK DVD (Columbia/TriStar)
UK Superbit DVD (Columbia/TriStar)
US Special Edition DVD (Sony Pictures)

UK Blu-ray (Sony Pictures)

That's eight different versions! Haha. I only have the Blu-ray now and I've not actually watched that. This must be up there as one of my most-bought titles. I even owed the stand-alone making of, BLOODLINES, on VHS too.
Old 23rd October 2012, 11:29 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload View Post
I absolutely love this film - I went to see it on opening night at the Odeon Leicester Square. I've owned various incarnations of it over the years:

Rental VHS (20:20 Vision)
Widescreen VHS (Columbia/TriStar)
Limited edition coffin box VHS which came with a pin and something else which I cannot remember for the life of me (Columbia/TriStar)

US CAV LaserDisc (Criterion)

UK DVD (Columbia/TriStar)
UK Superbit DVD (Columbia/TriStar)
US Special Edition DVD (Sony Pictures)

UK Blu-ray (Sony Pictures)

That's eight different versions! Haha. I only have the Blu-ray now and I've not actually watched that. This must be up there as one of my most-bought titles. I even owed the stand-alone making of, BLOODLINES, on VHS too.
It was a paperback of Stoker's novel with the movies artwork for its cover. I thought they might have gone with the film adaptation rather than the original novel though.

One of the few VHS releases i still have.

I first saw the film at a midnight screening on its opening night.

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 23rd October 2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 23rd October 2012, 11:36 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Paul, that's impressive...

I do have a certain fondness for the film, it was the first 18-rated film I saw at the pictures. My boyish good looks were evidently gone at 15...

I love Tom Waits in this by the way. (Tom Waits would have been great as the carny barker in Funhouse)
Paul@TheOverlook likes this.
Old 23rd October 2012, 11:42 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I'm a big fan of the film and I think Coppola breathed new life into the oft told tale. Reeves is a bit miscast but does a halfway decent job and is the only minor irritant in the film IMO.

The set design is sumptuous, Oldman is fantastic as the tortured soul condemned to an eternity of loneliess and darkness, and Coppola really pulls out all the stops. I love it.

Put Oldman's Dracula next to Farrell's Jerry Dandridge and I know which one I prefer.
Old 23rd October 2012, 11:46 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Send a message via Yahoo to darthelvis

I loved it and remember seeing it for the first time on a ferry on the way to a school trip in France. Only thing that is weak in the film is Keanu Reeves accent.
Hang Loose & Join the Community @ www.theforcebook.com
Old 23rd October 2012, 11:58 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I never understood why Reeves wanted to escape the castle - he had the three beauties licking his chest and going mad for him and he wanted to get back to his fiancée?

Demdike - yep, the book, you're right, all comes back to me now. Not a great set really!
Old 23rd October 2012, 12:00 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
I never understood why Reeves wanted to escape the castle - he had the three beauties licking his chest and going mad for him and he wanted to get back to his fiancée?
Well, that's Victorian values for you. If it had been written today he would probably have stayed and shagged them and become a master vampire himself. A kind of hardcore version of Twilight.
Old 23rd October 2012, 12:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Monica Bellucci no less... what an eejit !
Old 23rd October 2012, 12:17 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
Well, that's Victorian values for you. If it had been written today he would probably have stayed and shagged them and become a master vampire himself. A kind of hardcore version of Twilight.
Looks like the wrong person is writing these vampire books for kids, mate. Get something down on paper and give that Meyer woman a run for her money.

Like this? Share it using the links below!