Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2000's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th May 2013, 11:15 PM
Cultist

Default Uzumaki (2000)

"In a small town in Japan, Kirie comes upon her boyfriend's father silently videotaping a snail. He seems unaware of her presence and she thinks no more of it. Later, the mans obsession with spirals becomes more and more bizarre, ending in his suicide in a washing machine which turn his body into a spiral. Soon other inhabitants become possesed with different forms of spirals, one student seems to be mutating into a snail, another's hair becomes strangely medusa-like. The entire town becomes possesed."

This is a really cool Japanese comedy/horror, its very original to say the least but dont go into this one expecting a scare because that probably wont happen, worth mentioning the film is based on a manga so has a trippy look about it.
Old 26th May 2013, 11:02 AM
Cult Addict

If you like this then the film is an adaptation of the manga done by Junji Ito.

He's done several horror manga's that have been adapted.

GYO. GYO (The Death Stench Creeps): Volume 1: Amazon.co.uk: Junji Ito: Books

adapted into an anime that changes some of the characters around but is still worth watching...

gyo.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GYO-Tokyo-Fi...1&keywords=gyo

He also did MUSEUM OF TERROR

Museum of Terror Volume 1: v. 1: Amazon.co.uk: Junji Ito: Books

Featuring one of his most iconic creations TOMIE. Which has been turned into a series of horror movies none of which are as good as the manga (but still worth watching.)

tomie1.jpg tomie2.jpg tomie3.jpg
Old 26th May 2013, 05:56 PM
Cultist

I don't mind anime and I like the Tomie series but I don't really have any interest in Manga, never really been a fan of comics or manga
Old 26th May 2013, 10:55 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by klownz View Post
I don't mind anime and I like the Tomie series but I don't really have any interest in Manga, never really been a fan of comics or manga
Its worth giving junji ito a try. He conjurs up some of the most f****d up imagery and concepts i've ever seen, none of the films ever really capture that as well as they could. I would happily take a single frame from one of his books and have it as a piece of art in my home.
klownz likes this.
Old 26th May 2013, 11:21 PM
Cult Acolyte

Personally, I found the Tomie mangas to be garbage, but Uzumaki is a masterpiece, GYO is so unsettling, and Museum Of Horror (AKA Junji Ito Horror Collection) and Mimi no Kaidan are the most fantastic short stories.

Really need to check out the Uzumaki movie sometime, looks bonkers.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 27th May 2013, 06:35 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
Personally, I found the Tomie mangas to be garbage, but Uzumaki is a masterpiece, GYO is so unsettling, and Museum Of Horror (AKA Junji Ito Horror Collection) and Mimi no Kaidan are the most fantastic short stories.

Really need to check out the Uzumaki movie sometime, looks bonkers.
I think garbage is a harsh assesment. Not to all tastes perhaps but they still had some incredible creepy moments, like all the Tomies emerging from the lake and wandering through town. Besides, arn't the museum of horror books the Tomie manga? I have them and their all tomie manga.
Old 27th May 2013, 06:36 AM
Cult Addict

Old 27th May 2013, 07:42 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
I think garbage is a harsh assesment. Not to all tastes perhaps but they still had some incredible creepy moments, like all the Tomies emerging from the lake and wandering through town. Besides, arn't the museum of horror books the Tomie manga? I have them and their all tomie manga.
In America the first few were, then the rest were short stories. Get he probably was a bit harsh, but for me, the Tomies stories were all just either manipulation and torture, 2 things I don't find entertaining, or just plain stupid, like the one with the clones. And the one where they find her at the end in the cave.

I particularly like the longer short story from museum that was so stupid it was funny, about some kid who thinks he's a vampire.

In the Japanese ones, Horror Collection, there is a fantastic one about a family of puppeteers.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 27th May 2013, 12:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Love that film!!

Will track down some of these manga......

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 27th May 2013, 02:52 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
In America the first few were, then the rest were short stories. Get he probably was a bit harsh, but for me, the Tomies stories were all just either manipulation and torture, 2 things I don't find entertaining, or just plain stupid, like the one with the clones. And the one where they find her at the end in the cave.

I particularly like the longer short story from museum that was so stupid it was funny, about some kid who thinks he's a vampire.

In the Japanese ones, Horror Collection, there is a fantastic one about a family of puppeteers.
I think Tomie COULD be viewed as mysoginistic. But for me she's the perfect monster as she dosent even have to do anything. She brings out the worst in people but nothing that wasn't lying beneath the surface already. She can't die so when the people obsessed with her finally snap its themselves they are destroying. This is probably one of the main reasons I find Tomie so interesting as a character. I also like how she gan regrow from a single cell and there are multiple copies, and the fact that the tomie's hate each other.

Like this? Share it using the links below!