Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2000's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th January 2010, 04:31 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I was lucky enough to see Giallo at FrightFest with a huge cinema full of horror fans and it was a blast. It was one of the funniest experiences I've ever had at a cinema - the whole place was laughing AT the film non-stop!!! I guess this has changed my look on the film, but honestly, I'd say this is the Troll 2 of giallo films!...okay maybe not THAT bad, but it's still pretty damn funny!
Old 19th January 2010, 06:13 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I'm willing to give ol' Dario the benefit of the doubt-until I've seen it.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 19th January 2010, 08:19 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

To be considered I'm not an Argento fan I really want to see Giallo, not to see how bad it is or anything I have a genuine intrest in seeing it like I did Mattei's last two zombie films. I don't imagine it's anywhere near as bad as what people say, I rather liked Jenifer, Pelts and Do You Like Hitchcock. I'm not expecting Crystal Plummage or Suspiria but an enjoyable non taxing film.
Old 19th January 2010, 09:17 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Can't ask for more than that J.
Old Dario's an OAP now!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 20th January 2010, 06:54 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMIOUSE View Post
I rather liked Jenifer, Pelts and Do You Like Hitchcock. I'm not expecting Crystal Plummage or Suspiria but an enjoyable non taxing film.
I saw Pelts for the first time last week - I thought it was exceptional. I really, really rated it.

It proper put the shit up my (usually unfreakable) girlfriend too, which was hilarious!
Old 21st January 2010, 11:39 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I managed to aquire Giallo yesterday and may watch it tonight.Really interested to find out if it's as bad as people are saying
Old 21st January 2010, 12:58 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMIOUSE View Post
To be considered I'm not an Argento fan I really want to see Giallo, not to see how bad it is or anything I have a genuine intrest in seeing it like I did Mattei's last two zombie films. I don't imagine it's anywhere near as bad as what people say, I rather liked Jenifer, Pelts and Do You Like Hitchcock. I'm not expecting Crystal Plummage or Suspiria but an enjoyable non taxing film.
Agree with you on Pelts and Hitchock but I thought Jenifer was one big bag of balls. I still think John Carpenter's Cigarette Burns is the best of the Masters of Horror eps.
Old 21st January 2010, 03:12 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload View Post
Agree with you on Pelts and Hitchock but I thought Jenifer was one big bag of balls. I still think John Carpenter's Cigarette Burns is the best of the Masters of Horror eps.
Agree with you there Paul i do like cigarette burns and think it is underrated.

while on the subject of Dario regarding The Card Player if you watch it as an old style British Cop Drama i think it works much better than as a Giallo
Old 21st January 2010, 10:23 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

It does.A modern day one.

Old 22nd January 2010, 06:24 PM
Ex-member

I went in with low expectations (based on the reviews of early screenings) and was therefore not too disappointed...still a disappointment though (the flashback scenes were the only indication that this was an Argento film),I know we shouldn't expect him to live in the past & make what he did then,but I hark back to the days with Argento & his kinetic camera moves & audacious set pieces...these days he seems to have left that artistry behind...I also couldn't get over the fact that the killer/Brody looked like Avid Merrion from Bo! Selecta

Like this? Share it using the links below!