Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2000's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd January 2010, 02:41 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Personally, whilst I find Argento's latest work somewhat pedestrian, I do find comments against him somewhat ageist. Give the guy a break - I never believe that someone becomes too old to produce genius. After all, Fulci gave us his best in later years.
Old 23rd January 2010, 06:35 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbarr View Post
I went in with low expectations (based on the reviews of early screenings) and was therefore not too disappointed...still a disappointment though (the flashback scenes were the only indication that this was an Argento film),I know we shouldn't expect him to live in the past & make what he did then,but I hark back to the days with Argento & his kinetic camera moves & audacious set pieces...these days he seems to have left that artistry behind...I also couldn't get over the fact that the killer/Brody looked like Avid Merrion from Bo! Selecta

Haha, I thought that too. Like a Bo Selecta version of Rab C. Nesbitt. As far as the actual film I thought it was abysmal. I know it was beset by problems from the get-go, but it is truly horrible. We got the impression that Dario just could not be bothered trying while filming it.
Old 24th January 2010, 06:51 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Just finished watching Giallo and while I enjoyed it,I didn't find it to be great.For the most part I thought it played like an italian Midsomer Murders!I've heard that audiences laughed at certain points throughout the movie but I never laughed once and I've seen more convincing makeup from Inspector Clouseau as a fisherman! That pic from Bo Selecta is spot on though Byron Deidra? Worked that one out the first time I saw the name.
Old 25th January 2010, 08:00 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trench View Post
Haha, I thought that too. Like a Bo Selecta version of Rab C. Nesbitt. As far as the actual film I thought it was abysmal. I know it was beset by problems from the get-go, but it is truly horrible. We got the impression that Dario just could not be bothered trying while filming it.
Rab C. Nesbitt is making a comeback.
Old 21st March 2010, 08:04 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I thought the first 30 minutes was really good, but then it pretty much went into the shitter from there

There were a few scenes where Dario wimped out with the gore as well just cutting away from the action.
Old 22nd March 2010, 08:19 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Perhaps in the future there will be a 'Directors Cut'? I'm still to see Giallo and I'm even more surprised that a US or UK DVD hasn't surfaced yet. Surely some company must be intrested in it, if Night Of The Living Dead 3D can find a buyer surely Argento can.

Like this? Share it using the links below!